1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

most common plow repairs during winter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by NewLawn, Oct 30, 2008.

1. NewLawn

NewLawn Junior Member

Hey guys, I'm getting ready for the season and I want to make sure my plow wont let me down this winter. I've got an 2004 Blizzard 7.5' straight blade on a 99 F-250 Diesel.

What spare parts should I keep in stock? whats mostly likely to break & need replacing this winter?

I would really appreciate your input
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd vote for hydraulic hose.
  3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

hyd. hoses, fuses and relay. also keep some crimp connectors and crimpers in the truck that has saved me many times. oh and plow markers they have a habit of diappering in the middle of the storm.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I love that, when the plow trips and you see the plow marker go sailing off.
    If your lucky to see it ! Take extra fluids for everything. You never know when something wants to start leaking. Might Invest in one of the Blizzard emergency repiar kits from one of the after market suppliers. Like CPW on top line.
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id take every part you could fit in your truck. Hydro hose, fluid, tools, jumper cables, the list goes on -
  6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

hydro hoses(had one go out on me on my first job of the morning last year),

lots of fluids! hydro, trans, oil, washer, brake, power steering, and dont forget blinker fluid.

a couple solenoids. you never know if one is already bad.

return springs

head light and tail light bulbs

random nuts and bolts can be a life saver too.

rubber fuel line and tranny line with clamps.

and of course lots of tools. as many as you can fit in your tool box.
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you know what else is a good one, for a truck repair, buy the caps for brake lines, so you can disconect a blow line, and at least limp home,... or some type of compresstion fitting, , i even used a pair of vice grips once, made it home to do the repair-
  8. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

How about a trans jack and a spare 4r100 :rolleyes::D
  9. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Among all that is listed, Stuff I keep in my truck is a short length of Chain and a little floor jack so should I not be able to fix what blew up on the side of the road, I can at least jack the plow up and short chain it in the up position and get it back to the shop where I can do more extensive repairs where I'm warm and dry.
  10. storm king

storm king Member

How about a few trannys and a complete front end, trucks ain't ment for plowing !
    guess I won't make many friends here like that, but its true
  11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I have snapped a Fisher lift chain before. A Chain, a selenoid if blizz's have them, short and long hose, fluid, Tow chains/strap. You can use the plow as a floor jack so I dont know abotu carrying that, you dont want to drive a service vehicle around. Most of the stuf I would keep at the shop if you plow close to your base.
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Cell phone and charger. Tow strap and jumper cables. Hoses. Fluids plus everything already mentioned
    Just pull a trailer full of anything you may need......lol
  13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Go buy a service truck that has every imaginable tool and part on it, and pay one of your guys to drive it around for $8 an hour. It will be money well spent if you every do need it. Tow chains if you want to make a quick $100 towing out drunk people that are in snow banks too. I have paid for my tow chain about 10 times over atleast pulling people out of snowbanks. $100 minimum, and they have to hook up the chain, and Im not responsible. Some storms you can make more doing that, than these seasonal contracts everyone speaks of......... ;-)
  14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

what do you use your truck for, just gettin coffee?
  15. storm king

storm king Member

What trucks are made for, pullin and hauling, and hell ya the dunkin doughnuts drive through ;) they work fine for that but not dozing
  16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Trucks are made for pushing and pulling sir.
  17. storm king

storm king Member

Yea thats what thay say all right... and untill I see em building real front ends in the the way they used to It wont be me pushing with my trucks
  18. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Pretty similar to that...I had the two u-bolts that connect the 2 chains to the plow snap when the plow was like 3 years old. Had to rig a bolt throught the 2 chains to get back to the shop.
    And yeah, surely tow chain or two.
  19. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I plow driveways so my hydraulics, gearshift and clutch get worked out pretty savearly. I have not counted but doing an average drive I probably work the Hydraulics 50 or 60 times (up down left right) and change direction 20 times (backing up going forward).

While i've had stuff brake while plowing I prefer to take care of it with maintenance.
    I've had several Fisher lifting A frames wear through at the connection with the lift chain... so now I grease it and have not worn one out since. If I find a cracked or chafed hydraulic line I change it before it ruptures. (I still carry a spare)
    If I've broke something I get 2, one to replace 1 as a spare.
    I've never had a pump or motor completely quit on me so I dont carry them. I replace the motor every 3 years. Usually I need to start hitting the motor with a hammer when they go bad. As for the pumps when the plow movement starts to slow down thats when I change them.

Every year;
    Hydraulic fluid

Every 50K I change;
    waterpump, Hoses, belt, fluids

Every 75K clutch

As needed (I check and grease 3 days before a storm)
    PLOW tie-rod ends, Ball joints, U-joints, wheel bearings

Spares I take along;
    Extra centering spring for fishstick controller.
    Hydrolic oil, Brake fluid, Antifreeze
    Pump Motor solenoid
    Hydraulic Hose
    trip edge pins
    Front wheel bearing (the only one Ive had die while plowing was a AutoZone one that
    failed in 31 days)
    fuses,relays,wire, connectors....

Thats what I do.
  20. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Spare, springs, lights, moldboard, mount on the trailer??:jester: