1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Morton White VS Morton Blue Bulk Salt...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by procuts0103, Jan 29, 2013.

1. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

I recently received a load of blue salt from Morton 2 months ago and it was dry and worked awesome, even in last weeks cold temps. I just received a second load this week and it was white salt. Looked wet and had soccer size clumps in it. I called Morton and told them about it and they said, it was the exact same salt as the blue...? I call BS because this white salt sucks!

Can anyone please tell me whats the deal? Or am I just imaging something different here?

Thank you,

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Its anti cake mix that's the blue stuff
  3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I have NEVER seen bulk highway salt from Morton any color other than blue...

The stuff we get from North American Salt is white.
  4. procuts0103

So basically I got non Morton salt? That pisses me off... I buy from Morton and I get salt from some other place!

The lady I spoke to told me the salt comes with an anti caking agent, white or blue. SO she lied to me? You can really tell the difference. The blue worked so much better and the white stuff I got now, looks wet and clumpy. I bet its old salt that was laying around...

5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Not saying that it couldn't happen, but all the municipalities here get Morton salt, and I've been buying a couple hundred tons a year from them myself, and have never seen a load delivered to me, or to any of the municipal sheds, that was any color other than blue.
  6. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

i work for a university part time in ohio and the bulk salt is blue and i agree it works amazing. The sale we are give for the stairs and walkways is the bagged american rock salt( white salt) and it sucks its very fine,clumpy, and sucks when its really cold. and i do agree that it is some kinda anitclumping agent (blue salt) depending on if they had it "lying around" or did they get it from another location to fill your order.
  7. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

The white is trash in my book. Its always super fine and wet. The blue has nice big granuals so it flys off the spinner better. The white just cakes up and makes a darn mess.

I had one supplier tell me the white is a 2nd grade salt because its the screenings left over after they screen for bagged salt. ( bagged salt that has zero fines just big granules)

I would demand some money back or tell them to send a truck and loader. They should have told you before it came. Thats a dirty low down bait and switch.
  8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Finer stuff is such a ***** all around. Takes 2x the salt to do the same lots almost. There was literally a cloud of dust as it came off the conveyor/spinner. Hated it.

from Chicago

iv once or twice got morton in bags that had super 75% fines in it total trash
  10. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I noticed Morton sells the white and blue in the bags also. Is the blue in the bags also coated with the anti cake stuff too?

from Chicago

morton blue in bags is morton pro grade works at low temp good for sidewalks
  12. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Is the blue Morton pro finer salt too?
  13. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Morton is part of compas minerals they have some mines in Canada and there salt here is really nice apparently. I decided to take a trailer load of salt from American Rock salt. That stuff is junk more salt dust then rock salt. Dirty as well. It was cheap but not worth it, like others said u use twice as much.
  14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

This is correct. The anti-caking agent does nothing for melting capabilities, it only reduces clumps.

Any enhanced performance is a figment of your imagination.
  15. procuts0103

I heard from a few guys, that Morton salt has been **** all winter. Multiple complaints and no compensation. I bet next year they will raise the price and tell us its because they are doing something different to provide us with better product! LOL

16. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Just spray your salt with a little calcium chloride and that salt will play nice all winter. Too much calcium chloride and it will be sloppy, a little too much and it will be sticky, but if you get it just right it will reduce the salt dust, won't clump, and everything that leaves the spinner will be made to melt.