1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

morton solar salt!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 00bluegtp, Feb 8, 2010.

1. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

There is no salt availible can i use this for ice melt? I do just a few local drives and wondering if i can use it. and how it works. Help please blizzard is on its way.....
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What part of NY? Any hardware store should have ice melt left.
  3. leon

leon Senior Member

Morton solar salt

No reason you cannot use it but depending on how fine it is it will go a long way with sand with no waste.

If you are looking for bulk or bag you can go to Schoenburg Salt in Brooklyn or you can go to Newark for the Morton inbound Dock for bulk.

4. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Solar Salt is better since it's usually a lot cleaner. You'll pay more for it.
  5. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

isnt solar salt salt water softener salt? thats all i use. nice and clean, but i dont buy it from the big brand stores for 5.40 a bag. works perfect for tailgate spreaders.
  6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Solar is usually used for softeners, yes, but also for several other commercial applications. I think table salt is solar derived, but Leon would know for sure. As long as you use crystals, and not compacted cubes/pellets, it should work just fine.

And don't use brine blocks. Just sayin....

7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I've used it for years and no problems. Nice and clean, never jams up, no clumps. You can wet the stuff with calcium right in the hopper and it doesn't plug up(no vibrator). I can't do that with plain bagged rock salt. I don't pay no where near 5.50 a bag. Stay away from Morton cause its way too expensive. I use Cargill brand, seams to be just the right size too. The off brand solar salt you get at menards is ok, but way to small of a rock, more like table salt. I know of several companies in my area using solar salt.
  8. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

If you don't mind me asking what are you guys paying for solar salt. Im paying 4.99 at the local home depot for 40 lb bags of this brand. I use it to make my brine and also spread it on the parking lots fairly frequently. Very consistent product. Just wished I had a cheaper source for it.
  9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

The most I pay is 4.50 for 50lb. bag,
  10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

You can get it mucher cheaper if you buy it by the semi load from Cargil.
  11. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

this year i paid $3.00 per 50lb bag, bought by the pallet payup
  12. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I think I paid 3.50 for 50 lb bags when I bought the pellet.
  13. leon

leon Senior Member

solar salt

Good morning fellow board members,

About solar salt:

The naturaly refined "solar" salt can be used for tabke salt as well

as a salt for deicing which is common in the western states with

no access to rock salt for deicing.

Salt for your table(salt shaker) or livestock is made from

solar evaporated salt which is

solar evaporated salt meaning naturally evaporated by sun and wind; or

heated salt brine which in most brine plants is dried using vacuum assisted

drying pans.

14. Westhardt Corp.

15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Modern Marvles did a show on salt. One of the cool things was how they get solar salt. They show this program quite a bit on the History Channel.
  16. i enjoy the coarse solar salt.......the size of an air stem valve cap...some time from tractor supply...by the pallet where ever its' cheapest. i like it because after you drive over it a little it crushes a bit and becomes another product moving around my customers p-lot. works for me...my customers loathe sand.
  17. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I think Leon narrated that show..........:D
  18. Westhardt Corp.

Is it wrong that I am a total geek for those History shows? ::adjusts pocket protector::

19. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I love the the History channel. Lets see there is Modern marvels, Engineering Distasters, Mega Disasters, Mega movers.

How about The discovery channel. Extreme Engineering, Extremem machines, How they do it, how its made, Ultimate Factories.

I am a junkie for anything engineering or showing how something is done. I like educational shows. Yes, i am a geek and proud of it.:laughing:
  20. Westhardt Corp.

I look at it like this--knowing how they calculate the blade angles of torpedo props (and subsequently manufacture them) could come in very handy someday.