1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Morton Salt, White, Blue... What Gives

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by procuts0103, Dec 8, 2013.

1. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

Ok, went down this road last year and still looking for answers. Ordered first load this fall and it was dry blue salt. Awesome salt! Works in low temps and spreads beautiful! Ordered another load last week, asked for BLUE salt. What do I get? White wet salt that didnt work well in 27 degree weather, let alone 20 or colder.

Can someone tell me what is going on and how do I get BLUE salt every time I order. Morton claims its the same salt but its not! I spread it and I see a difference.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

2. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

Take a picture next time to compare and document. Then send them the pics to verify.

3. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

I believe the blue is added per DOT spec's... If you have the scale tickets of both deliveries you can see if they are coming from the same pile to start.

4. procuts0103

I just don't get it. It's Morton salt period.! Why is it blue one time then white **** salt the next. I've had it come both ways from Fairport and penny dock.....

5. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

Morton Salt Colors

M

When I was looking into purchasing salt from Morton I asked the question as to why there salt was a blue color, was it better, did it have calcuim chloride sprayed on it. The answer I got was it was just some form of trade marking that they do, so that way everyone know its Morton salt. I forget who I spoke with in Painsville, but he worked right at the mine. As for the white salt maybe they just ran out of die or something.

Brian A

6. procuts0103

The blue is a totally different animal... It spreads better, melts faster and is always dryer....... I specifically asked for BLUE and I got white. I dont know why I cant get what I pay for. Its BS

7. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

Morton Salt

M

When I was there Blue Salt had big tarps over it, white salt was open to elements, maybe that is the difference. I know Penny Dock stores it inside. so it should be somewhat dry. Not to sure as to why one works better than the other.

Could be the fact that they are probably selling salt as fast as they can mine it right now.

8. procuts0103

Penney dock has 2 piles outside covered with black tarps. This fall I seen it uncovered and it was blue? Something just dont add up here. I tell you one thing, Im not happy paying good money for **** product. Im getting tired of it and something has to give...

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Just order treated salt every time. If its colored and works in low temps it has to treated.

I run strait salt 10 degrees and over, clearlane 10 degrees and lower.

JMO.