1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Morton Bulk Salt nor spreading well........

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by forestfireguy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Morton Bulk Salt not spreading well........

We have had about 150 tons delivered so far from Morton and it just won't spread well, it seems to be very very fine, we've run through about 100 ton so far. Liking the pricing, but trying to decide if we can adapt to the salt or if we need to go through another supplier.....The price is great, they offer terms, but if we can't spread it the right way all of that doesn't really help much. Any thoughts ? We generally run our spreaders(western gas icebreakers) with the gate about an inch open, and we're having a really hard time getting any flow at all, we open the gate and we get too much salt for the spinner to keep up with, then have spill over and snail trails through our lots. More fins on the spinner? play with baffles in the chute?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

My salt this year I believe from Cargil, same way. A lot finer mix or grade than I usually buy. They said it it state spec.? Bone dusty dry! But a lot cleaner than normal also.