1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More Worst Stuck Stories

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEAL, Jan 10, 2001.

1. NEAL

NEAL Member

I know the worst stuck has been done before but There is us new guys that got some more. I love these stories! Here is mine...

I used to plow the lot where I work. Up until this point I always was able to plow before the store was open or after it was closed. We dont get much snow here and when we do it is usually a couple to four inches. One morning it was snowing when I woke up so I was able to plow before the store opened at 9 am. I then went to work for the day but it kept snowing all day, not too heavy but enough that my boss thought I should get out there and do the lot again. The lot is basically the shape of a horseshoe with the store in the middle so it is easy to plow I just windrow from the building out to the edge of the grass. Towards the end of the lot at the front of the store the lot is a little narrower and by the time Im out that far I have a pretty deep windrow and a good stack of snow going. It is hard to tell where the edge of the pavement is. On my last pass I come to the end, stack the snow and back up only to get caught in the windrow and pulled over to the side off into the grass. Well it was grass but over the summer they tried to dig in a big tank to test jet skis in right there and in the fall they took it out and had the hole filled back in. So Im stuck with front and back left wheels buried up to the hubs in the not yet frozen ground with both axles sitting on the edge of the pavement! A fellow worker tried to pull me out with his Toyota but couldnt find the traction. We had to hook a Dodge to his truck to pull mine out. In the process I got wet,muddy, embarrassed, and broke a hub. BUT it was still fun cause it happened plowing!

Neal

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

My worst stuck so far was when I was plowing the Infinity inventory lot at our dealership. We have to push the snow up over the curbs... and needless to say I had a pretty big pile going. Well, I got it up over the curb, but my front wheels sank into the snow on the other side of the curb. It took a 1-ton dually three tries to get me out. I was IN THERE!!!

-Tim

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

blizzard of 96,i was using my uncles 84 1 ton,stake body duallyi was breaking trail doing driveway,that hadnt bee ndone yet-mind you I have never seen this driveway in my life,let a lone plowed it.The snow was about 24" deep and the drift at the bottom was so deep the driveway makers were buried.It was a horseshoe U with 2 entrrances from the road,I worked my way up and around,and on the way back down the other side i had momentum going and i couldnrt se real good,as everything was white at that point.I missed the driveway and tried to plow over the area about 6 ft to the left which was a 3ft deep drainage ditch,The truck stopped there,and wasnt going anywhere.We tried both 1/2 ton chevys together,and nothing.I had to crawl out the window to get out,the snow level was at the bottom of the westcoast mirror.I shoveled for 45 minutes.The truck was full of sand,about 2-2 1/2 yards,+the 275 gal fuel tank was full to,s it weighed about 16K.we ended up having to drive the 5yd Clark loader about 5 miles,on the road,That was the only thing that would pull it out,especially since the roads werent plowed yet,you couldn t get traction.I highly doublt even a 1 ton tow truck couldve pulled that thing out.Therewere no trees around to hook onto with a strap either.

4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

If my name was "Red Green" I would say: "If you not stuck, your not trying!"

5. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I hate that feeling you get when you do a major. It's like Chris Farley in "Tommy Boy." "That's going to leave a mark"

6. NEAL

NEAL Member

Too bad Chris Farley isn't alive anymore. He and David Spade could make a new movie called Plowing Boy. Couldn't you see those two driving around trying to do their newly assigned plow route!

Neal

7. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I'd pay 6 bucks to go see it.

8. Dusty

Dusty Member

In the blizzard of '78 I was plowing a driveway with my 1953 Willys and though that it made a turn to the right. It didn't and I wound up in a field buried in snow up to the roof. A DPW truck came by and had a good laugh and then plowed a path to the front of the Willys and I was able to drive out. A little embarrased when it was put on the front page of the local newspaper, but since I lived 2 towns away no one knew who I was, or so I thought. That spring while going out for a Sunday ride, while stopped at a traffic light the car next to me yelled out "How are you at snowplowing?????"

9. MWM

MWM Junior Member

Stuck

I was plowing after a storm that dropped no more than 6" but the drifts were terrible. It was the first plowing I had ever done. New Chevy 3500 with Boss V. After checking out this drive I think; No way can I push this much to one side or the other. I decided it would be best to leave it in the folded back v position. Even this was too much, so I lifted the blade up about a foot thinking I could break through, then come through to open it up on the next pass. Bad move. I ended up getting so much snow under the truck and beside it I had to crawl out the window and shovel it away and out from underneath before I could back the truck out. Live and learn.

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

With V-Plows, you are able to use a feature that is not availablet to normal straight blades. This is the power-unstuck mode. Simply, V then lower and put in reverse and go to scoop and repeat. It has saved me at least twice and some others many more times. Similar to a tadpole swimming. Just like a back hoe is impossible to get stuck (almost). It just takes time, I hve never shoveled out of a stuck situation. I'm sure that there have been many stuck V's, but most are able to be "scooped" out.

Hope you never have to try it!

Good Luck

11. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

almost

Seems alot of people have stories about u shaped driveways
    .....as is mine. A women asked me to plow her driveway
    and being the nice guy that I am, I said I would. She is in her 40's and her husband had passed on a couple years ago,
    well, I backed in and tried to push the snow towards the road, well, I didn't know the drive very well and I couldn't
    kick down to the edges with my boot because of the heavy ice, so I kinda split the diference between some trees that were in the yard. I was wrong, I ended up plowing a path right through the front yard, out to the ditch. After a couple of minutes of trying to get my truck out of this ditch, the county plow came by and threw about 2 feet of snow over the hood of my truck (He couldn't see me because of the trees). I thought I would just leave the truck and get it later, but I tried again and she pulled out. After finding a shovel (a little hand held garden shovel) I found where the drive was "supposed" to be and finished the job. It was interesting.

12. Veggie Farmer

Veggie Farmer Junior Member

While pushing off a large lot with my straight blade fully angled, I was piling snow onto a huge bank made by a loader. There was a sign on a single post at the edge of the pile. I pushed right past it just missing it with the blade. When I hit the pile my front end went sideways about a foot, leaving me with the post between the bumper & the blade. After trying several fancy moves I ended up droping the blade and then pulling the blade back into the lot with a chain.

This isn't a stuck story but it is the worst thing thats happened to me. While plowing around the back dock of a machine shop. I was getting as close as possible to there building and dumpsters. As I rounded the dumpsters there were two loud shotgun like blasts. As the truck listed to the left I realized what had happened. I had punctured both left side tires on some sharp steel laying on the ground. It was 3:00 am,one spare,before cell phones. Guess whos jobs weren't done on time that morning.

13. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Not a plowing stuck story but a decent one none-the-less. I was in high school at the time and school was cancelled because of heavy snow and heavy winds. My buddy and I had a great idea. Let's go drift busting. If your going to go drift busting you need tough vehicle so we hopped into my 84 Pontiac Sunbird. We were having a blast on back roads for an hour before we hit that dreaded stretch of road. We came over a small hill to see that the next 1/4 mile of road was solidly drifted deep. We didn't know how deep at the time but we were stupid enough to find out.We decided if we were going to try, we needed a run for it. We turned around to get about a mile run at the stretch. I was going about 60 mph when we hit. The car was all over the place, but I kept it on the road and it kept getting slower and slower until we couldn't get any farther. The good news, we didn't die and we made it 1/4 of the way. The bad news, we were 3/4 of the way to getting out. We walked to the nearest house and borrowed 2 shovels. When we first started digging around the car we found that the car was lifted about 8 to 10 inches off the asphalt. You could jump on the snow where the car had gone over and not leave a boot print. Hard as a rock. After we got the car back on the ground, we shoveled about 40 feet in front of the car. With that amount of run I could drive the car an additional 40 feet before being stuck again. We went through this process over and over for hours before we finally made it to the other end. Very tired and the thrill of drift busting wiped from our bodies we went to return the shovels. When returning to the car we saw the big orange county plow truck come over the hill. To bad we weren't compensated for opening that badly drifted road by hand.

14. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

BBbbbwwwwaaaaahhhhhhhh ha ha hah!!!!

-Tim

15. 9FT.PILES

9FT.PILES Banned

4 chain drive

ever wrap all 4 w/ chains? day dont call "C L E A T U S" for nothing.hunting and plowing in the pocono mountains at the same time,outta try sometime.need em up dare,come on.