1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More Trans. Problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SAWFISH, Jan 21, 2004.

SAWFISH Junior Member

Well my wife was driving our 99 dodge caravan today and she heard a thud then slight vibration and coasted to a stop along the highway. I hauled it to the dodge dealer and they tell me it needs a new trans. at a cost of $3000.00. I was not the most happy person to hear this, it only has 60k miles on it. And then I find out that Dodge has a problem with the trans in the caravan because many other people have had the same problem. All the trans shops that I called knew what was wrong as soon as I told them waht it did. I guess that there is a drive pin that comes out and breaks the case therefore they cannot rebuild it. You would think that if dodge has had so many problems with them that they would cover some of the cost or all of the cost-- but they will not help at all. :realmad:

But this ordeal made me notice something on my 2000 ram, when I was hauling the van on a car trailer to the shop ( I was using my truck) I had the overdrive turned off and it was kind of vibrating a little around 69 mph. So as soon as I got on a flat part of road I turned the overdrive on and it seemed to drive alot smoother. It this seem normal? I have noticed in the past on a couple occasions that when going up a hill in overdrive not pulling anything with the cruise set, it would down shift but then when cresting the hill it would not shift back into overdrive without me haveing to step on the accelerator and then letting off.. :confused: Any insight on any of these problems???? thanks
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

On the ram there is a kickdown cable on the throttle body that may have some slack in it, which would be why you have to hit the pedal to get it to shift. Also here's a shameless plug for you dodge guys http://www.dodgetrucks.org is a great information resource, just about any question you have can be answered over there.
  3. limargie25

limargie25 Guest

Have you checked the Dodge website for any recall notices? If it is a problem and enough people have had the same problem they will usually recall it. I just had my tranny rebuilt 3 times in the last 2 months the shop just couldn't get it fixed correctly. I hope it is finally fixed this time.
  4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

MOPAR problems

Dodge not recalling a chronic recurring problem? I've (paint) never (paint) heard of such (paint) a thing!:rolleyes:
  5. 10 gauge

10 gauge Junior Member

this reminds me why i wont own a dodge !
    i like the cummins diesel but the only problem with that set up is everything around the engine is junk !! hahaha :gunsfiring:
    when all else fails you can relie on the good ole chevy :D
  6. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

? This is just another case of brand loyalty. Would you like to be more specific as to what is JUNK? Is it the solid front axle that you are complaining about? Oh, wait, that makes too much sense for a plow truck. How about fully boxed hydro-formed frame fails on the 02 and up? No, probably too strong for plowing. How about the only factory auto tranny capable of accepting an exhaust brake, FROM THE FACTORY? No, you don't need brakes when towing.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: