1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More traction - ARB or Eaton E-locker?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JFon101231, Aug 8, 2014.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I have a 2002 GMC 2500HD crew cab right now, and I am leaning towards going in a different direction, namely getting a used Jeep for main driveway plowing duty, selling my current truck, and getting a 2011 2500HD extended cab for family duty, backup plow duty and to continue to be able carry larger plows (I also sell plows on the side). I haven't been happy about the traction with my 2002, even with the 245/75 Nokian LT snow tires. I run about 800 lbs of sand against the tailgate, about 70/60 psi front/rear and still slide around up some steeper hills and have gotten stuck when stacking piles (I know thats mostly my fault). I hear of some people saying how they rarely use 2wd, but if I didn't I wouldn't be moving...

I plan to put ARBs into the Jeep. But I'm thinking if the 2011 becomes the "holy grail" for pulling out the Jeep if it got stuck or being called in to clear a driveway that wasn't plowed until after a 18" storm, I'm thinking I should upgrade it too. Does anyone have a recommendation between these two options, preferably based on experience? Should I consider a helical-gear limited slip like a Tru Trac?

Also, on the rear, do the newer trucks still have a Gov-lock? I've never had much luck it seems on my truck. The premise that it needs one wheel to start spinning before it locks seems weird as usually it doesn't seem to help much because then they just both spin because 1 has already gotten past the point of max traction (which I think in theory is the point in time right before they spin). Seems the recommendation from most is a Tru Trac for that application. Unless maybe there is some technique or finesse I never learned to use it properly?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I carry emergency strap on tire chains; saves on alot of worry and stress. Got hung up on a pile facing downhill in wet heavy snow. Put three chains on each rear wheel and got ou fine. Got them at tirechains dot com i think. Might be a good alternatine to deciding on lockers and such

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Point well made, I have never used chains before. I assume as long as there is enough snow, you generally wouldn't damage the pavement...

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If I'm stuck, I don't worry about marking up the pavement. Studded tires can do more damage than chains. I actually carry a full set of tire chains around too; have never used them though. As I mentioned, just having them in the tryck eith me gives me peace of mind. I see these "stuck" videos on youtube and, in most cases, they could easily get unstuck with those strap on emergency chains (or even good snow tires).

I have a 2011 F350 with the oem locking rear; hsve never used it.

5. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Well, i run a 2006 D-Max and for several yrs i ran the Cooper discovery M/S's and they were great but short life time. Now i run General Artic altimax's and love them. All diesels come with the G-80 and i have found some work better than others. My RCLB that sold took a couple turns to lock in but the ECSB i drive locks in at about 1/2 turn of a wheel. Traction is rarely an issue. Tire chains are a great answer. You do not always have to install them either, sometimes just laying them behind several tires and the truck will walk right out. No offense but sometimes the driver makes the difference too.

6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

None taken. Y

I wonder if mine is working correctly. My 4x4 is not working now and when on wet grass I had to go back and forth a couple times to get out...