1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More torsion questions!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PROPJCKEY, Nov 30, 2003.

1. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

O.K. fellas (gals),

Where would I measure how far my front end is dropping when I raise the plow:

-At the front of the bumper?
    -at the A arms since that is where the suspension is.
    -if I do crank up the torsion bars, won't I have a chamber problem when the plow is off?

I measured the frame at the point where the cab body mount attaches just before the "upward" bend in the frame by the front tire and it only drops 1/2". that seems pretty rerspectable to me but, since I never have had a plow mounted on my truck, I never have paid much attention to it. Upon crossing double railroad tracks, she bounces kinda mushy but stops after just a few.

I know I already asked this but, it seems that one torsion bar should be cranked clockwise and the other counter-clockwise.

HHELLLLLLPPPPP!

-Jeff-:confused:

cleanplow.jpg

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I would measure from ground to the top of the front fender well. Both sides should be turned clockwise to raise.

3. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Most folks measure from the edge of the fender well, just make sure you pick the same spot on both sides. As for the bolts you my be right when you tighten the bars the bolts go further up into frame member . Hope this helps.

Bob :D :D :D

4. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

thanx boys. think i'll give a whirl tommorow

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Jeff- Throw 5-700 pounds of sand in the back of your truck. I think that will solve any of the problems you have. Your rear is WAY up in the air in that pic.

6. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Snowy-
    see what you meen. Bad photo. It is no where near that bad. have about 500-600# in the boxes and 160-170# in the rack. Will take a better photo.
    -Jeff-

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Speaking of the boxes, how are your blind spots? :dizzy:

It could have to do with your truck not being leveled to begin with. Three turns on the torsion bars, plus an alignment, will have you sitting much better.

I don't know if you have them or not, but Timbrens might help a little too.

8. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

By the way Snowy...
    saw your light question...talked to Lake county deputy friend of mine about the same thing. My insurance company said I need a light on my truck for them to insure me. Illinois state law says that as long as you are on private property you can run any color or brightness light you want as long as you are preforming your duties, however, once you leave the property you can only have an amber light on the road. And it may not be on unless you are working with the plow or are broken down. In other words, run a red and blue strobe if you want to play cops and robbers but you have to take it off your rig when you are between jobs! Make any sense?
    -Jeff-

9. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

alignment would be fine if I left the plow on all the time but, what happens when I take it off?
    -Jeff-

10. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Snowy-
    Have had boxes since I was 17. (18 years...YIKES!) never a problem since I have mirrors. Ask my wife however, and she will tell you that mirrors are for make-up!
    -Jeff-:drinkup:

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

have the truck aligned when the plow is off. That way you can drive around and have a perfect alignment. I did it that way, and my truck carries the plow very well. Around here, the plow is on so infrequently, that it doesn't have a chance to wear the tires poorly as it would if I had the alignment incorrect with the plow off. If you crank the front end up about 1" with the plow of, the truck will sit level, and the weight distribution with the plow on and raised will be much better, it will handle better too.

Shoot me an email if ya want, I'm trying to compile a list of all the Illinois guys! jwu91@yahoo.com

12. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Where are you at Snowy?

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm a little ways south of you, in Peoria. I made a Hooters run with a few guys from Central Illinois earlier this fall. I'd like to get something together this spring, maybe a little bigger group, with some of the Chi-town guys as well.

14. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

10-4

Kevin matthews is at the Crystal Lake Hooters at LEAST once a month. let me know.
    -Jeff-

15. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Jeff,

This year I went three turns on both sides, added the Timbrens all the way around and I have noticed a huge difference. Mainly no dipping during braking, and level riding over bumps. Much better.

BTW do you do any sub work. I am considering expanding north from Elgin have a chance to pick up some work your way but need a good sub in the loop before I bid the work. Drop me some mail if you are interested, FOREVERGREENLAWN@aol.com

John,

Sent you some mail.

Ron