1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More Questions.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JNR, Oct 12, 2001.

1. JNR

JNR Junior Member

Hi All,

Well, today's the day my plow is being installed. I started a thread a few weeks back about plowing my own private gravel road. Thanks to all for your helpful advice. I'm getting the RD Fisher 7.5' blade plow on my 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD that has the manufacturer's snowplow prep package. I gave serious consideration to getting a wider/V-blade as some recommended but with the new truck payment, I had to keep expenses down as much as possible. I'll just have to make an extra pass or so.

Question #1 - Will I wish that I had added some "beef" to the front suspension? I keep reading how Chevys sag under the weight of a plow and wonder if this in turn will cause premature wear on the suspension/ drivetrain components?

Question #2 - Will plowing my 1,100 foot road with the blade raised up about 1- 2 inches to minimize gravel disruption cause damage or increased wear to the plow or truck? I still want to add the urethane strip as recommended for gravel conservation but don't know if I will have the money for one before the first plowable snow.
    I have never had a truck payment the size of a small mortgage before and it hurts!

I have to do everything possible to minimize wear and tear, as this truck has to last me for a long time.

Thanks for your responses.

JNR

2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Subsidize truck payment.

I'd cut that truck payment down to size by getting a couple of neighbors to plow for. Don't get in over your head if you are employed full-time, but you could probably make a dent in that payment if you had a couple of neighbors with whom your work and plowing schedule would jive.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i just had a 8 ft fisher HD plow put on my chevy 2500HD and i was suprised it doesnt sag too much at all. if you want a good quick fix, put in timbren loadbusters in.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I agree with the timbrens I have them on my truck all around and they do help alot.Never touched my torsion bar for addjustment.I have a '97 2500HD .

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You will have to plow a long time on gravel to wear out that steel edge. Most wear on steel edges comes from asphalt.
    Amyway, your plow should have come with some steel shoes that pin to the back of the plow. While they are all that effective, use them so that all the washers are below the tube on the plow. that is the lowest setting. This will help some, by allowing the weight of the plow to be tranfered to the shoes, instead of the cutting edge. Also when plowing, lower the plow to the float position, then raise the cylinder just to the point where it picks up the slack in the chain, that way when you come across a low spot the plow will float over it, rather then dig into it.
    And when the time comes to get a urethane edge, you will wonder wny you ever did any of things outlined above. Plowing gravel with urethane is akin to the smoothness of a new born bottom.
    Dino

6. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

What I found on my 01 Chevy 2500HD was that the torsion bars were adjusted to their lightest point, if that makes since. Meaning that I could adjust them much tighter than what they where. I turned mine four turns to level the truck and help compensate for the 285 tires. I have yet to put my plow mounts on, so I don't know how it will set. I have a 8 foot western pro, and had it on a 95 k2500 HD and it moved very little when the plow was raised. I did not adjust those torsion bars. I would just see how it sets and if you think it is to low than crank them up. 18mm socket does the job. I also have not had mine aligned and see know signs of uneven tire wear.

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you drive/plow like a maniac, that 2500HD should have no problem handling the plow. Couple of key things to keep in mind - it's a pickup truck, not a loader, and remember to come to a complete stop before shifting from D to R.

Keeping the edge just above the driveway surface won't hurt the plow or truck either. Use the method Dino described, and once winter is well underway and everything is frozen you won't have to worry about grading up gravel unless there's a prolonged warm spell.

I hear ya on the subject of "truck payment the size of a small mortgage" - I just signed for a loan to get a bike built. I'd imagine my payments aren't quite as big as your truck ones - but I still feel 'em! :eek:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2001