1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More questions on GM Diesels...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fortywinks, Sep 17, 2007.

1. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

How do I equip a GM 2500 NBS with the diesel/Allison for snow plowing? So far what I've read GM does not recommend plowing for that model due to the front end weight of the diesel. Yet, I see many on this forum with a GM model diesel/allison combo. The BOSS dealer I spoke to said I need to contact my GM dealer to make sure they will honor the warranties associated with the truck. He also mentioned the Timbrens as a way to counteract the weight of the plow, but said ride will be stiffer. No big deal there. In short, can I plow with this truck and maintain my warranty? The truck does have HD Trailering equipment. I do not foresee any situation where I would driving around with the plow and four or five people in the truck but that seems to be the concern of the BOSS dealer. Can rear ballast be used to help offset the Front Axle weight limits? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
    Fortywinks

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My dealer has never given me any problem with warranty, but I have not had any front end problems. If the problem is a direct result from plowing abuse, you don't have warranty with any truck you buy. My 02 has had a 9'2 Boss on it since new and is completely stock and the warranty claim I have has in 160k is injectors. Your best just to ask your dealer how they will handle the warranty on your truck

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

If your truck does NOT have Snow Plow prep, yes they can deny anything they want. Its BS but live an learn, dont buy a new warrantied truck with out Plow Prep.
    That being said check out Boss's site top of page here, they will tell ya what blade you can run with there quick match.
    If you still have a problem go see Jerre in Erie, he will hook you up, and you wont have to deal with some bung ho telling you your truck wont handle the weight. I know guys with 810's on there Duramax CC trucks . They handle it, just dont expect the front end to last forever.

4. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

Re:GM Diesels

I am not a 'lets throw caution to the wind' type of guy so I have not yet purchased the truck. My preference would be for a diesel as a longer lasting vehicle with the motor and tranny to do just about whatever I would need it for. Plowing is one of those, hauling firewood is another. I have not found a crew cab diesel with the plow prep package on any nearby dealer lots. The GM commercial website says the 6.6L can be had with the snow plow prep, but I haven't seen one. I was hoping to find one on the lot and take advantage of rebates, financing etc. I guess part of my orginal post was... Are members out there plowing snow with the Duramax/Allison combo, not having the plow prep package on their vehicles? If so, how did they go about preparing the truck for the plow and do they have any advice? It seems a little crazy to have all that power and not be able to plow snow with it.

KB

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My trucks don't have the prep pkg and all I did was put the blades on them, they seem to hold up very well IMO. Talk to your dealer, when you buy your truck and get it in writing. I must be lucky the dealer I've delt with for 17 years has never denied a warranty claim due to the plow. If the plow did wreck something I would not expect warranty. Buy the D-Max you will love it.

6. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

My 2 cents

JD seems to know what he is talking about. I just mounted the undercarriage for a boss on my 05 duramax/Allison crew cab long box. BOSS does not recomend a plow for the truck, But as you already know plenty of guys are using them. I think I am going to turn up the torsion bars a few turns, and Timbrens are another possibility.
    This will be my first year plowing with a diesel, and I am really looking forward to it. Last year I had a 1500HD crew cab and it cost me a $100.00 a day in gas.

7. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I don't think chevy/GMC offers plow prep on their CC trucks dmax or gassers. I've never seen that option on a Chevy CC anyways. A lot of guys run plows w/CC diesel's and do just fine. Throw timbrens in and turn your torsions 2-3 times, you'll be just fine. I plow with a CC gasser and haven't had a problem yet.