1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

more pump problems!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fordman22, Jan 7, 2012.

1. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

i have a 7'6" western cable plow. the pump isnt building up enough pressure to lift the blade. it will go till the chain gets tight then no more. when i unhook it the ram lifts fast and smooth but it seems im not getting enough pressure built up. the cables are all adjusted correctly. please help!

2. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

UPDATE: after getting really frustrated i pulled the pump out of the housing going to replace the filter. i flipped over the pump only to find the o-ring sucked half way down into the pump. replaced the o-ring put it all back together and everything worked perfect :)

3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Good Stuff. Sounds like your in snow removal mode. Equipment getting ya down and working long hours to repair it. Its a vicious circle, gotta have the equipment to get the work and vice versa. Good Luck, lets hope it snows a little bit more.

4. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

thanks! but now more problems... plow will go up down and right..not left.. my cable is adjusted right. fluid is getting through the line... thank god i picked it up for cheap

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

6. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

ok thanks i will try that tomorrow and let ya know how it worked

7. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

8. dieselss

not bad at all Thumbs Up
    not rude at all,,,,,yes i am,,no snow=no life....got this on my phone too :)

9. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

thanks! and dont worry were not getting here ne either :( so im in the same boat...we are getting just enough snow to get my hopes up then back down. and i see so i take it you have a smart phone?

10. dieselss

Yea. To bad its smarter then me!! Lol

11. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

o dont worry my crackberry always gets the best of me! alrdy pocket dialed x gf while i was talking about her. long story short. i dont think she ever wants to speak again :/

12. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

feel kinda stupid but cause i was sure my cable was adjusted right. well... we spent 2 hours trying to find the problem...the problem was my stuborness. it was just the cable :/

13. dieselss

hey happenes to the best of us right,,,happened to me in my ford post....just glad ya got it fixed!!!

14. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

ya me to! but i took the blade off because by sunday it was gonna be up in the 40s. very depressing moment taking that blade off!

15. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

where is said filter and o ring? might be why mine doesent wana go up.

16. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

if yours is a mark IIIa pump.....drain all the fluid. pull of the motor. and in the dead center will be your pump, there are 4 bolts. only 2 of them hold the pump down (the other two are to take the pump apart). the filter is a small filter about the size of a weed eater filter. and the o-ring is on the bottom. will your pump begin to lift but its not lifting the the blade?

17. birddseedd

yes. begins to lift. but doesent have enough strength to go up with the plow weight. after a couple trys it will.

18. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

check that o ring. and when you pull the pump out the filter is right there. or it could possibly be your cable

19. birddseedd

i guess using pipe tape was a bad idea and my filter might be clogged.

its weird. sometiems it goes up slow. sometimes fast. im going to rebuild the cylinder and then clean the filter. first go back to the shop as they gave me 2 rh extensions...

20. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

where did you use pipe tape??? and the filter is a easy thing to change. and is your controller mount mounted well inside your truck?