1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

more problems whats new

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowforapurpose, Dec 29, 2013.

1. plowforapurpose

plowforapurpose Junior Member

2003 2500hd chevy. So I get to the lot and take my first pass going easy and lost all gears, grinds when i put it park and wont hold when in park. Sounds like transfercase anyone have anything different. Also while waiting for tow my driver shows up to finish the lot and he says the truck is shaking. I give it a drive and it feels like warped drums. 1999 gmc 2500 anyone else have this problem.

2. plowforapurpose

you think, it was just rebuilt in feb and being as it is grinding that tells me the trans is spinning but the output is screwed

3. mud

mud Senior Member

Sorry I was looking at two threads on different sites. In your case it could be the transfer case. In the other. Not so much.

4. plowforapurpose

just my luck, thats 2 trans 2 transfer cases and a bunch of u joints for that ol girl

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If nothing in 4wd I would guess transfer case. Out of round drums while normal cause rear brakes to lockup. More likely warped or broken rotors. But this should only cause vibration while on the brakes.

6. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

If you can still drive the druck in 4WD, it's likely your rear diff. I'm on diff #3 in my '05 Silverado (not a plow truck).

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I hear about these problems all the time fro my friends who drive chevys. None of them are plow trucks either. Get yourselves a Ford. .... problem solved.

8. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not impressed with the drivetrain. I bought the truck new, so I know it was maintained regularly. But it's still on it's second tranny, second transfer case, and third rear diff. But I'm sure the lift and big tires aren't helping my case, lol.

I used to have a Bronco. Only replaced the transfer case once Thumbs Up

9. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

what are you guys doing to these Silverado's? I have a 2005 that has done nothing but haul trailers and move snow. By trailer's I mean a 4k pound dump dry with 4-5 yards of topsoil maxed. this truck has a new tranny but that's it other than shocks and the obvious front end stuff. perhaps I am lucky? or is it that I come to a complete stop before changing gears?

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm just as curious. I try to maintain my Chevy the best it can be and it's treated me well. Aside from worn out front end parts it's doing good for me being the crap out of it constantly.

11. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

That is all my Silverado pickups do to is work work work. some with over 200K miles. never a rear end, never a tranny, never a transfer case.... They never have left me stranded and these are not brand new trucks.

I did have the actuator screw up on the transfer case once on one of the trucks. Only issue Ive had out of any of my trucks..... Oh yeah Never mind, ive had to do all the freaking exhaust manifold bolts:realmad:.............. Nothing makes me feel like im driving a piece of chit like an exhaust leak.

Glennlawn, I know there is a lot of folks on here that are die hard ford fans and they must have had good luck with them. I bought a obs ford 7.3 powerstroke that all the ford boys said was the best work truck on the planet. not only was it a piece of garbage and left me stranded multiple time (which my other 3 trucks (chevys) have never done) but I was scared to take it to mcdonalds let alone work with it......... Id say the original poster got a lemon just like I did the ford I bought.......... Luck of the draw I guess...... I sure wish the ford would have treated me better because other than it being unreliable, I totally agree with everyone thinking there "setup" for work...... As in straight front axle, more ground clearance.......... Tell you what, If I could have had that powerstroke truck with a 6.0 vortec or 8.1 vortec, I would have been a happy camper. Best of both worlds in my book................... Or I could have just gotten a good powerstroke that wasn't junk and been still driving it today and telling everyone that it was the best truck on the planet........ Oh well..........

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

13. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

exhaust manifold. forgot about that. we have had to do that one several 2500hd 3500 silverados. common issue for plow trucks, Ford is not excused.:laughing:

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That is a problem you just never had with the older trucks... (rotten exhaust manifold bolts)

I wonder what the difference is? Bolts are probably made in China now...

15. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

The difference is they are way too small and the whole y-pipe and half the weight of the exhaust hangs on them, add thermal cycling and a little corrosion and they just snap. I just did mine (only 65K miles on a '06) and added 2 belleville washers under each one too hopefully absorb the expansion and contraction, we'll see.