1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More pretreating ?s

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Jan 31, 2009.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I know there has been a fair amount of talk about pretreating here recently. I picked up a couple of hilly hoa's this year, plus we have had a lot of storms combined with a lot of cold weather without sunshine. After pretreating, how much is lost after the first push? We use both salt and salt/sand mix depending on conditions. I try to use the straight salt as little as possible due to the extra cost, but obviously want the best results achieved.

2. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Very little is "lost". Just spread around.

I've tried pretreating as the first few flakes are falling and after pushing off the first 1 1/2" inches or so. Haven't seen much difference in the two approaches except the latter is cheaper due to one less trip.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I do some pretreating. I agree little is lost if you plow during the storm. It definitely cleans up better, and much less ice buildup. It takes a while to learn just how much you need, but I think your customers will be happy.

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

How Much of what is lost after the first push ?
    If your implying what gets plowed up with the first push the answer should be nothing, except snow.
    I think you may be confused on what pre-treating actually accomplishes.
    Pre-treating is to prevent bonding of hard pack to pavement, which leads to ice, and to help "burn off" snow in zero tolerance situations. The Salt will dissolve and form a brine, which coats the pavement, burns off as much as it can, and then will be covered. Heavy ass wet concrete snow tends to "dilute out" pre-treatments, and you wont see "excellent" results, even with the "Super Duper" Magic, Ice Ban, or Geo melt. Warmer temp storms 29-32F dont seem to have as good of results with pre treating IMO. They usually come with higher water content snow, which will dilute anything. Remember any de-iceing product is only good till it dilutes out, then you need more. :D

As far as sand goes, or a mix it is basically useless for pre-treating, seeing as it does nothing to help paved parking lots short of traction for a brief period of time.
    Now if you are spraying your sand at the spinner with cal or beat juice, you may see some positive results, but the sand laying there at the bottom is useless, except as a carrier, so you Might as well plow it up anyway.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Thanks tman, that was helpful info.

6. whit16

whit16 Junior Member
    from 08820

I agree very helpful tman

Pre salting is almost a must in high traffic lots like shopping malls. It keeps the snow from icing to the pavement and will keep it slushy for a time until the water content gets too high. We salt after the plowing is complete most of the time as well.A good client with a good understanding of the process and science of it (and a good contract) knows this is the way to do it right.

7. G-rott

G-rott Junior Member

Salt/Sand mix is not a pre-treatment, The sand only makes a mess. Use straight salt if you must pre-treat,

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Last night was my first storm pretreating with salt and had great results. Temp at when snow started, so things got real slick when it got below freezing. My properties were in good shape, and today, not a single call.

9. whit16

whit16 Junior Member
    from 08820

Edison township should take note. My streets were an icy mess, accidents everywhere. My lots were wet pavement till 5-6 pm...Pre salting ,even if it costs you a little is well wotrh it...