1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More power

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kemmer, Nov 7, 2007.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a 01 silverado 2500HD crew cab with a 6.0 gas engine. When i plow and lift the plow everything dims. i only have a single optima red top. First how do i find out what size alternator i have? also should i add a second battery? and if i do would i have to replace the original battery aswell since it isnt new anymore? and how should i wire it if i do add a second one? + to + and - to -?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your truck has the plow prep package, it'll have the bigger 130 amp alt. If not, it will have the standard 105 amp. If your not sure on the plow prep or not, look on the option decal inside the glove box for the option code "VYU". That's the plow prep code.

As to a duel battery setup..check through the Chevy truck discussion here..theirs a couple of good threads about duel battery setups in there..