1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More power!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by forrest.treutel, Dec 3, 2011.

1. forrest.treutel

forrest.treutel Junior Member

i plow with a half ton 2dr tahoe with a 5.7 350. it has about 180k and is starting to get rather sluggish.
    Recent maintnace- spark plugs,wires,rotor,cap,air intake,dual batteries,high performance alternator.
    -what are some ways to unleash some of the power out of this 350 (fuel injected)?wesport
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Have you looked into a chip. Other than that there is no real quick fix. The only things I can think of aside of tearing into the engine would be again, a chip, a cold air intake system and an exhaust to match all the above listed. Only doing one of those listed will get you some performance gains but you really need to do all three. Other than that your talking engine re-sleeve or bored out, bigger cam but all that leads into other things so it's probably not worth it.
  3. forrest.treutel

iv looked into getting a true dual exhaust but i just gets so spendy! Do you know of a place where i get get a kit for my 95 tahoe ???
  4. forrest.treutel

...thats nicely priced
  5. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I am sure I will get flamed for this but here goes, as I am drinking Gin. The Vortec motors come from the factory with 3" y pipes from the factory that is dual until the muffler and turns into a single outlet. The factory 3" y pipe with catalytic converter removal and 3" single pipe with some sort of turbo muffler(unrestrictive) will flow better than any dual exhaust on a stock Vortec motor and provide a seat of the pants HP increase that will knock your di*k in the dirt. I know this because I have done it on 3 of them. And the reason I did it is because the installer had access to a dyno and did a test of both a single 3" and a dual system, and the 3" single flowed better. And I also passed emissions test with all the trucks, including a visual check on one of them!?! Good luck.
  6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

only wrong info basicly in this is vortec motors didnt start till 1996 -up. and the maifolds down to single were only around 2" pipe to 3" colletor on the y pipe.

and yes shorty bolt on replacement headers and custom 2.5" dia pipe to this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-Y250300/ and 3" high flow cat if needed for emmisons checking or skip it and go 3" muffler and single 3" pipe out is the big ticket.

the 95 - down to 87 were just a basic small block with a tbi injection system in place of the carb.

also a chip is a bandaid to other problem that needs to be fixed first.

ou said tune up was done. but no place did you say fuel filter the most comon over looked item . i had a tbi 350 truck and wouldnt even smoke the tires after everything minus fuel filter. replaced the filter and :eek: see ya later tires up in smoke and lots more power.

also check the timming and set to 0* and you need to disc the timming wire before setting. should be behind the glovebox on the 95 you got but not 100% sure.

if you wana modify the tbi system there is TONS of info on www.thirdgen.org yes its camaro site but thay are basicly the main place for the best tbi power info around.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  7. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

check out the forums at fullsizechevy.com they are owners of these trucks and have expansive knowledge of how to improve them. I learned alot about performance for my 98 silverado with the 5.7 vortec. alot of the TBI stuff is easy, as there are plenty of upgrades. they are very simple motors. cams, cold air intake, used supercharger (if you can find one) intake, you name it. sweetK30 is right about fuel for sure, fuel delivery can be an issue on these trucks. the TBI can be rather finicky. back when I had my 89 rcsb sport 4x4, i did very little to it performance wise, and the original 198,000 mile motor would smoke the tires, even though it wasn't a posi rear they both spun. It was a blast to drive. emissions can be troublesome exhaust wise, but if you look around, many companies have setups for your truck that are 50 state street legal. here in MI we dont have emissions testing (THANK GOD!) so I hacked my cat right off, threw a 3" in 3" out thrush welded (basically flowmaster 40, but much cheaper) it sounded great and ran great. again, check out fullsizechevy.com. maybe start here : http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/performance/tbi-tuning-87-95-obd-i-ecm-pcm/
  8. forrest.treutel

does anyone know what is a good band chip for my rig?? alot of them iv found you have to have the intake exhaust and cam upgrades....i only have the intake so should i wait on the chip till i can make these mods or what??
  9. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

I have a JET PCM in my truck, i works fantastic. Obviously my truck is different, but JET makes chips for your truck as well, my understanding its the same situation, plug and play.

another thought, some people praise them some people hate them: Throttle body spacer. can usually find them pretty cheap
  10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

best chip hands down is a full custom chip. data log it on a few drives and have someone burn you one thats specifc to your truck.
  11. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

I wonder if blackbear deals with tbi computers... I am eventually going to have them burn mine for my vortec
  12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

being a 95...disconnect the wire on the firewall and check the timing, some people forget that the earlier yrs were adjustable, if off it makes a big differance