1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More Plow ?s

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by vatorman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. vatorman

vatorman Junior Member

hi thanks for the info it helps i just messed around with my 1st plow its a 84 GMC 2500 6.2L with a 7.5 meyer. I just bought a 1989 GMC 3500 4x4 dump with a 8 foot looks like western but i cant tell the truck has 53,000 mile but is a little rusty it has a 350ci and the plow works from a pump under the hood it this common it winds i little and theres a vibration in the drive line i want to use this truck to plow this winter but dont know where to start with repairs any ideas
    thanks
    tony

2. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

The engine driven pump is rather old school, I do have a Monarch running the Meyer on my '64 International 1200 that was installed in '65. From my experience it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of another. The engine driven pump seems to respond a bit slower than the electric unit on my Sno Way but the sheer power it has makes the Sno Way look like a toy. I can actually put the blade against the mtn on the side of the road and move the truck with the power angle, the Sno Way would trip if I did this. Also remember if the truck dies for some reason you will not be able to raise the blade to get it home. You have to either remove it and bring it home in another vehicle or carry a comealong to raise it in an emergency. For plowing our dirt roads and literally beating the hell out of the equipment I prefer the old school on the IH, for stacking and pushing snow around creatively to gain more room I go for the Sno Way due to it's maneuverability.