1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More out of my Flowmaster?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by gotgetter, Jun 22, 2001.

1. gotgetter

gotgetter Banned

I have a '90 fullsize Bronco with a 302. Today I had a 40's series Flowmaster put on. A single from the cat back. And 2" pipes.
    It didn't give me near the "rumble" I expected. Barely notice it actually.
    Don't really have the money to sink into it, so what are my options to get it sounding better?
    I called Flowmaster's tech support and he said take the tail pipe off and put a "turn down" pipe on it, about 12" long.
    What do you guys think? Will this do the trick? Thoughts? Thanks!
  2. Shortening your exhaust from the muffler back will make some difference. (though probably not what you are looking for) You are working with a short wheel base vehicle and exhaust gasses would be a concern for me, especially if you push snow with this rig. I have a friend who has the same set up on a shortbed ford p/u. He went through the same thing you are and finally found what he liked by removing the muffler and running straight pipe to the rear of the truck leaving the cat. converter on. It has the low rumble he wanted but doesn't roar too loud. For the cost of a 18" piece of pipe it may be worth a try.
  3. gotgetter

gotgetter Banned

Well, it turns out that either is illegal, at least here in PA.

1. Tailpipe has to extend out from under body of vehicle (according to shop that installed unit originally). Won't pass inspection otherwise.

2. Must have a muffler (according to guy at shop and Flowmaster technician on phone).

So it looks like I'm stuck with what I got. Oh well, maybe I'll just go punch a hole in it with an ice pick! LOL!! Just kidding!
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Ditch the Flowmaster and have a 2.5-3" pipe run from the convertor to the back. You won't ever get the rumble w/ the cat on & a muffler, even w/ a Flowmaster. ED
  5. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

You can get the sound

with a dual cat back. Save up for the other side of your exhaust!