1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More or less competition

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LLMSERVICE, Nov 19, 2005.

1. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE Junior Member

Is anyone noticing a trend one way or the other? More getting into snow removal this year or more getting out of it?

We have been flooded with calls this year and talking with many other lawn care contractors, a lot are getting out of the snow business. I'm out plowing lots at night and I'm not seeing the competition like I did in past years, nor am I seeing as many lots being properly cared for. During the day, I getting tons of driveways-somedays 3-5 new ones per day using plow and or snow throwers.

The demand is growing it seems (for residential at least) but many seem to consider offering it a pain.

Any thoughts or observations from you locales?

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

more compition here in sanding. I have seen 5 new V-box sanders come through the local dealership and know of at least 2 other used ones put into service this year so far. That is 7 new competeders in sanding. But I have had an increase in requests for plowing and know af 2 areas which need someone to plow. both have at least 16 hour routes on a 3" snow fall.

We will let the weather weed them out.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The local paper had 11 ads for snow removal. 2 only offered roof shoveling,, 4 plowers offering sidewalks, 3 just plowing, only the last 2 had insurance and offered to do commercial and out of the two only one did sidewalks.
    (I don't use the paper to advertise.) After the first real snow of the season the adds will double. lol, Every one wants in on a good thing. The funny thing is, most of them are unemployed construction workers who are collecting unemployment and low-balling drives for beer money.
    So as times get tighter, I think all of us will see more and more people trying to make a buck plowing.