1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More newbie questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snow4me, Oct 7, 2008.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I'm currently unemployed so I thought I'd try and earn some money this winter doing residential driveways. I drive a 1992 Chevy Silverado Z71 pickup with shortcab/bed so it's got the shorter 117" wheelbase which should help with doing the shorter driveways. Then tonight I bought a used 7.5 foot 2006 Snoway 2900 series plow with downpressure. It came with the correct frame mount for my truck and the light bar and all of the electrical hookups and handheld remote control (paid $2,700). The guy I bought it from seems like a honest guy and he claims everything is in good working condition. Now for the questions:
    1.) I'm very mechanically inclined but not so good with electrical, should I pay the Snoway dealer to install the whole thing on my truck, and ask them for a quick demonstration of the controls and hook-ups? Or do as much as I can handle myself and then bring it to the Snoway dealer if I get stuck with the elctrical part of it?
    2.) I talked to my insurance agent and they told me I'd need a liability policy for the plow but I forgot to ask how much it was going to cover. For doing driveways how much coverage will be adequate?
    3.) Should I offer a seasonal rate or per plow rate and if I do the per plow rate what should I charge per drive (most homes are on 1/4-1/3 acre lots so the drives are no more than 18'-20' wide x 30'-40' long). I'm thinking $30-$40 range.
    4.) If I offer to clear the walkway to the front door and all of the snow in front of the garage doors that the plow can't get does $10 extra sound reasonable for that? I've got a cap on my truck so can keep a small snowthrower in the back of my truck to do sidewalks and touchups but this takes time and time is $ right?
    5.) Should I get all of my customers to sign a waiver to protect me against lawsuits?

Thanks in advance for the help, this looks like a great site!

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

All of these questions have been brought up numerous times. Use the search feature, and read some of the older threads.......you will learn alot!

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I hate it when people say that.

4. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

When you have answered the same question 100 times it does get kind of old. half of his questions have been answered at least twice in the last two days. Shouldn't have to dig to far back in posts to find the info he wants:):nod::nod:

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That's all true but look now we have 4 posts in response to the original and no help. It would have been much easier to do nothing, or answer.

6. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

ok I guess I asks too many questions at once. How about just one, how much should I expect to pay to have a plow installed? And yes I did the search before I posted my questions and everything I've found so far is either vague or not helpful to my situation (regarding the insurance and damage waiver).

7. tom_mccauley

Life is to damn short to argue about trivial $h1t sooooooooooooooooooooo...................

Hope that helps!:):drinkup:

8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if you have them sign a contract then throw a little diddy in there about it:cool:

9. tom_mccauley

Here is part of my contract (which any GOOD lawyer will eat up in a new york minute regarding slip & fall, once again the reason we have insurance!!!)

5. Limitation of Liability: The contractor will exercise reasonable care to avoid damage to pavement, curbs, trees and shrubs. However, the contractor is not responsible for any: A) damage to landscaping caused by the piling of snow. B) Damage to items that are snow-covered or not visible. C) Damage caused by equipment when tree, shrub and sidewalk areas are not reasonably delineated due to snow accumulation. D) Personal injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents; and/or E) Acts of God, including but not limited to extraordinary weather conditions

and:

Disclaimer

Tom’s Plowing will not plow or sand/salt within 3 feet from any parked vehicles, equipment or other obstructions in parking lots, drives or other areas being cleared. Please attempt to move obstructions prior to our services being completed. Tom’s Plowing is not liable for damage to pavement or other surfaces contracted for plowing of snow. Damage can occur but we will make every effort to avoid this. Depressed areas in pavement may accumulate snow that may not be able to be removed as well as snow that has been packed down by vehicle or foot traffic, Tom’s Plowing is not responsible for these accumulations that cannot be removed but will do our best to remove them.

Representative is responsible for boundary markers or flags (Tom’s will provide for a nominal charge). Customers must make arrangements with Tom’s Plowing regarding piling of snow after snow event. Removal of snow piles is not available through Tom’s Plowing; please contact a snow REMOVAL CONTRACTOR for this.

Remember, icy or slippery conditions may exist even after work is completed. Tom’s Plowing is not responsible however, for any death, injury, loss or damage of or to persons or property by reason of non-performance of our obligations in our agreement. You also agree to waive any right of subrogation against us by reason of same.

Late payments will be assessed a 15% late charge if not received within 10 days after Billing Due date. Returned checks will be assessed a $30 fee and overdue bills may be turned over to a collection agency.
    :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  10. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Yes that does, thank you and CHEERS! :drinkup:

BTW- My wife is from Michigan and I just told her about your signature regarding the 98% of Americans say oh Sh!t before sliding off the road...

She got a good chuckle out of that one :D

Just wondering how long have you been plowing and have you ever been sued?

11. tom_mccauley

Started plowing when I was 16 (I'm 39 now) and knock on wood NO have not been sued yet but if you plow long enough eventually you will be, It is just the nature of people to get rich quick by any means possible. Although one commercial account I plow for did get sued over a slip and fall on the side walk (their responsibility by their choice,should have let me do it and it WOULD HAVE BEEN SALTED!!!! but ... what do I know I just push snow!)

12. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Well I just called 3 Snoway dealers and they all want $400-$500 to install the plow. I'm leaning towards doing it myself. I've got the manual for everything except the subframe assembly install instructions. It's wet out today so I'll probably crawl under the truck tomorrow and see if it bolts right up to existing holes or if drilling is required. Any tips or suggestions on this are appreciated:drinkup:

Oh yeah my friend is an electrical engineer so he is going to handle wiring it for me in exchange for Microbrew beer on tap in my garage kegerator:D

13. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just make sure to re-tighten all bolts and connections after plowing for about 10 hours.
    Good luck with your plowing this year.

15. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Will do, thanks for the link to the pdf file. Looks like it's professionally written so I should have no problem installing this one myself. I'm looking forward to the first snowfall so I can put this bad boy to work.

16. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Thanks - I use Loctite Blue on all my snowmobiles and I'll do the same on my plow.