1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

more ice and snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Feb 13, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well it looks like maine will get another 6&quot; of snow tonight. Then it will change to sleet and freezing rain, yum. Then the temps are going to drop like a rock, and freeze everything up solid. <p>We had a storm just like this thursday night into friday only we only got 3&quot; of snow. Good thing i had the pre-wet systems. We plowed everything then sand/salted everything. In some spots we replowed and sanded.<p>Geoff

2. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

That's all right last night they were calling for 3&quot;-6&quot; we will be lucky if we get a dusting. Called for fuel truck truck last night new price of 1.85 for road fuel and 1.25 for off road, E-mail bill 300 gallons ouch, now no snow!!!!<p>----------<br>paul<br>

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

forecast for southern new england is freezing rain/sleet/snow mix changing to all rain, heavy rain thru monday. Can we say flash flooding? Hope they are wrong again and some snow sticks around. Leaving the plow on just in case.<p>Bill

4. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

they are calling for 6-10 w/some sleet or frezing mixed in not starting till early eve lasting till mon. midday long night&day ahead <p>----------<br>Todd <br>

5. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We're looking at 4&quot;-6&quot; with some freezing rain thrown in for good measure. Sounds like fun. Hope that damn E-47 can get us through the nite! Love to catch a few ZZZ's before going out but my baby boy isn't likely to be sympathetic to my needs. &quot;Waaaaa! Waaaa! Waaaa!&quot;<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

6. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Forecast in SE Mass. Rain changing to heavy rain, with more rain....floods possible in coastal areas. Took the blade/spreader off the truck today and washed it. High was 48 today, 50+ tommorow. <p>Geoff your probably going to get a good one up there...ENJOY....<p>Dave

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

We are supposed to get a mix to start and quickly change to rain,heavy tomorrow and flooding possible with temps rising to mid 40's tomorrow.Boy if it was 5 degree's colder we would be getting blasted!<p>----------<br>John D<br>

8. John DiMartino

It is 1005 here and the freezing rain is coming down hard,I guess I'll head out now and make my rounds.Cha-ching$$<p>----------<br>John D<br>

9. Darren Lucke

Darren Lucke Junior Member

HEY GUYS, LOOKING FOR MORE HELP, IF POSSIBLE. WE'RE EXPECTING 2-4&quot;, JUST RIGHT TO MAKE SOME MONEY, BUT MY PLOW, MEYERS 7.5' IS STUCK IN RIGHT POSITION. CHECK MY DISCUSSION OUT. APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL. OR IM ME DARRENLUCKE@AOL.COM<p>----------<br>Darren Lucke<br>

10. GeoffD

Well they say 5 to 9&quot; here plus sleet and freezing rain. We will plow commercial lots starting at 4 am monday. Then we plan to finish all the lots monday night, and due the residental customers during the day. Maybe 3 visits top commercial, 1 or 2 residential, will have to see how the storm plays out.<p>Geoff

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I dfont know geoff better hit the lots early, looks like mostly rain for you. You will need to head pretty far north for all snow,like Presquile.<br>...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR TONIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY...<br> .TONIGHT...SNOW DEVELOPING. THE SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE 1 TO 3<br> INCHES BEFORE MIXING WITH AND THEN CHANGING TO SLEET AND FREEZING<br> RAIN BY DAYBREAK. A COATING OF ICE IS LIKELY. TEMPERATURES IN<br> THE LOWER 30S. EAST WIND AROUND 10 MPH.<br> .MONDAY...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN CHANGING TO RAIN IN THE MORNING.<br> THE RAIN WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES...AND MAY CAUSE STREET FLOODING.<br> BECOMING WINDY WITH HIGHS 35 TO 40. EAST WIND INCREASING TO 15 TO<br> 25 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT.<br> .MONDAY NIGHT...RAIN TAPERING TO SCATTERED RAIN OR SNOW SHOWERS.<br> <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

12. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

raining here in New Jersey no $$ for me

13. GeoffD

Just got done checking the weather again. Still 5-9 with sleet and freezing rain, maybe rain in the late afternoon. The mountains of maine and around caribou will get the jackpot around 18&quot; Maine weather is kinda funny, Dino got the forcast for portland. If you get the forcast for say gorham a town 10 miles inland, they are forcasted to get 4-7&quot;. If you go 5 to 10 miles inland your weather is a lot different. The there have been years where the coast has gotten more snow then the mountains. Still planning on starting at 4 am, nothing falling from the sky yet, only it's snowing in portland.<p>Geoff<p>Geoff

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

INTERIOR YORK-INTERIOR CUMBERLAND<br> INCLUDING SANFORD...GORHAM...BRIDGTON<br> NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME<br> 900 PM EST SUN FEB 13 2000<br> ...WINTER STORM WARNING FOR TONIGHT AND MONDAY...<br> .TONIGHT...SNOW DEVELOPING. THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES...<br> ACCUMULATING 2 TO 4 BY MORNING. LOWS AROUND 20. EAST WIND 5<br> TO 10 MPH.<br> .MONDAY...SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES EARLY...CHANGING TO SLEET AND<br> FREEZING RAIN...THEN RAIN BY AFTERNOON. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF<br> 4 TO 7 INCHES...WITH A SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION. BECOMING<br> WINDY WITH HIGHS IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S. EAST WIND INCREASING TO<br> 15 TO 25 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR 100<br> PERCENT.<br>With this forcast keep the snow on the lots as long as possible, let it soak up the ice and sleet, it will crust over and when it stops or turns to all rain then plow it off. It will be heavy, but easier than meltign a 1/2&quot; of ice off pavement.<br> Dino<br>

15. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Im in central CT, got up 5:30 this am, pouring rain and 32* went out anyway streets were fine but good thing I went out the lots on the north side of buildings where the shade is were all ice. Threw some sand. Too bad these are all seasonal pay accounts. Oh well, they havent got much for their money yet this year might as well put in an appearance.<p>Bill

16. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

its 12:30pm 8-10&quot; on the ground been going since 1:00am. just stop to look at the weather channal.looks like it will let up later this after noon!!time for some fooooood!!then back out to keep drives open$$$<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

17. John DiMartino

We got a freezing rain mix last night for about an hour then it turned all rain.I just did commercial accounts.It melted right away with sand/salt mix.I wish I has some straight salt left it would've been cleaner but it is safe.It didn't get as warm as they predicted today (what a surprise!)So I might have to go out tonight when it ices over again.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

18. GeoffD

Well at 8 pm the crews are all in. We started at 3:30 am. The city of portland got like 5&quot; snow and a lot of rain and street flooding. Up around my house we hit the 1 foot mark. We will be useing the loaders a lot tommorrow night. I am glad i am like 25 or 30 miles inland those guys on the coast had to plow heavy soup all day long. It changed to rain around noon time here, portland got rain at 7 am. Anyways residental got plowed twice, commercial 3 times. Black ice set in around 6pm with all the water on the road, so everything got resanded in 2 hours a speed record. We will be out sanding lots in the am, we couldn't sand the whole lot right now, too many cars. <p>PS the pusher moves soup very well.<p>I am glad we only had a few mins of regular rain, and a few hours of freezing rain. The only soup we had was in out parking lots.<p>Geoff<p>