1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More frustration!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grshppr, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Heres the story....

A month ago one of my guys was talking to a lady next door to a place we do. She wanted a quote for her apartment. He gave her my card, and she called me a few days later. I looked at the place and told her $60. She told me that price was way too high and I could forget it. It didn't bother me because this was mid January and my schedual was full anyway. She said the other guy did it for $30, to which I responded why are you getting more prices then? Well he never shows up. She told me they would continue with the other guy since I was way to expensive blah blah blah.

Last snowfall she approached my driver as he was plowing the other lot, and told him that I had told her I would plow it, and that she gave me $30 cash when she talked to me last. He tried to get me on the two way, but I was out of range and couldn't hear him to confirm this. He plowed it, trusting the lady (she is about 65-70).

This just ticks me off. What should I do? I have no phone number, and she lives in the apartment building, so I don't know how to contact her. (she phoned me, and it was a 2 minute drive from my house so I went and met her out at the parking area. Plus it was a month ago and I don't rememner her name) She said she was on the strata comittee so should I send a bill to the strata for the $60.

I guess what I am mad about is that she knew darn well what she was doing, and lied to my driver that she had "pre paid" me to do it. Maybe next storm I'll put all the snow back where it came from. ;)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

That's a tough one.I wouldn't send a bill anywhere unless you know it's going to get to her.I'd hit the complex and see if I could track her down.

I wouldn't waste too much time on it,as it's only $60.00.Let your drivers know to never plow unless they can confirm it with you or get cash in hand.

3. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I think you may have a tough time getting your cash. I would send them a bill and hope for the best.
    I think I would chalk it up to experience and handle it by making sure that in the future all of your drivers know that they should NOT do anything that is not on the route sheet or confirmed by you.

As they used to say on the X-Files "Trust no one"

4. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Thats just plain awful, i would be mad too! guess like everyone else has said its not alot i know it still matters though trust me and unless you can talk to her directly its gonna be hard to do.
    One thing i would do is make a invoice out with all the info and at the end of the year charge it off has uncollectable moneys.

Fred

5. Try this first, if you can locate her.

Explain this situation to a uniformed police officer and have him go knock on her door with you, and driver if possible.

This works most of the time and they pay on the spot.

Older people have more respect for the law and the uniform than a plow guy.

Good Luck

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's called "Theft of Services" - plain and simple. It was done with deliberate intent to defraud so I would think there are provisions for this in your provincial (?) law. If you want to go to the trouble, you can probably track her easy enough by the apartment she lives in. Send a bill and "remind" her that she had not had an agreement with you. Ask her to contact you within so many days (ie: 10). Failure to act will result in this matter being forwarded for legal action.

Or use Bob V's suggestion.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  7. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Thanks for the ideas guys. Once I've got a bit of spare time I'll have to try them. :drinkup:

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd be ticked off too, but in reality, how much of your time is worth $30? Chalk it up to a lesson in life.