1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More feedback on Dogg VX and VMD VS Boss VXT

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Deebee7, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Deebee7

Deebee7 Junior Member

I have to purchase this week and still can't decide between Boss VXT or Snowdogg. Both are new, and I've researched both for a long time. Externally Snowdogg is a little harder to hook up, is stainless, and has a thin metal motor cover, double act cylinders. Both, and I hate to say this but its true, power control motors are made in China. Which one should I get and why. I service 30 to 50 people per event, residential and commercial both.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Nothing's new about the VXT but the wings, same system otherwise.

3. Deebee7

Deebee7 Junior Member

I meant I was buying new, not used. So that said, is one truly better then the other besides the things I already know?

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you get more with the snowdogg for your money which is why I bought the 9'6" V last year. My choices were the VXT, Fisher Extreme V, and SD VX95.

Snowdogg comes with fast hydraulics, simple wiring harness, same warranty, stainless, double acting cylinders, adjustable trip edge, snow deflector, and there are small touches/attention to details that the others didn't have (rubber strips on the ribs between the moldboard to prevent rusting).

The boss was nice but I wanted trip edge and double acting cylinders. It was as expensive as the fisher and also had no deflector either.

Fisher was very expensive no deflector and I didn't like the center pin design. Plus stainless was another $400.

Comparing the three I feel the snowdogg is built heavier as well. the center pin is designed like the Boss the lift cylinder is larger than the other two, it has wing stops that the fisher charges extra for as well.

As far as mounting its very easy and I like the jack. It makes mounting a snap especially if the plow settles into the ground at all- adjust the plow up and she goes right on. I had plenty of times that a Fisher needed a car jack to get it lined up with my truck.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dealer, dealer, dealer, everything else is secondary

Every owner will explain why the plow he's running is the best.

You need to decide, chain or direct lift, trip edge or full trip, etc. but regardless look at the dealers.

What do they stock in supplies/parts?

What kind of service dept they have and what are their storm service policies?

Then you can worry about SS vs Painted, boss smartmount vs snowdawg trailer jack, etc.

6. Deebee7

Deebee7 Junior Member

True, they say they will be there for me, and funny thing is they are the only local dealer and sell both

7. plowguy43

Both have excellent customer support in my experience (I run snowdogg and work has boss)

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm talking grassroots in his home town walk up to the counter service.

Yes both manufacturers stand behind their product.

9. plowguy43

Yes I've had good luck with both (in both respects)

10. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

I have the SnowDogg VMD and love it. Built from the VX frame, It has flared wings and just looks great. Hydraulics are fast and the hook up is simple. Best of all, no rust on the stainless. SnowDogg has the VMD, VX, (Flat Wings) and the VXF (Flared Wings). All look great but aesthetically and considering windrowing the VMD and VXF are great.

11. plowguy43

What is the VXF? Was this just released?

Nevermind I just looked on their website and now I want one.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  12. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

VXF is a flared winged v plow. It's more aggressive looking and it throws the snow further when doing a speed pass.

Here are a few pictures.
    The plow on the left is the SnowDogg EX80 series. Right: The VXF 85
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. plowguy43

I love it. looks like its replaced the VX series, the non flared plows aren't on the snowdogg website anymore. What'd it set you back?

14. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

You can still get the non flared tho if that's what ya want

15. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

16. plowguy43

Jim- click Home at the top and at the home screen it pops up at through bottom of through plow listings.

17. Deebee7

Deebee7 Junior Member

Nice looking pictures Brah!

Thanks

18. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

The VX is still available but I think the VXF will be its replacement. That is not set in concrete yet though.

Those are not my trucks but the VXF go for $5,300 - $5,700 installed around here. Depending on size.

19. Krumm

Krumm Member
    from CR, IA

ill buy a VXF when snow dogg comes out with wings for them. but im guessing thats a ways out so a 8.5VX with wings may be in my near future.

20. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

I'll find out if there are wings or if they are in development on Monday when I get to the office for you.