1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More cooling from Electric Fan

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SkiJohnnyB, Jan 21, 2012.

1. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

Did a bunch of searches to no avail so I'm asking for some help/insight.....

2007 Silverado Classic 1/2 ton w/ Meyer Super V-LD. Unfortunately I have the electric fans and when I'm traveling around town, I'm having a hard time keeping the temp down. Is there an inexpensive way to get more cooling out of the electric fans??? Custom fan controllers are a bit pricey......

2. meborder

meborder Senior Member

what about installing a pusher fan in front of the radiator?

you'd have to seal up the gap between the AC Condenser and the radiator, but foam weather striping would probably get that done for cheap.

you could just have the pusher fan running any time the the truck is on, then in the spring pull the fuse when you remove the plow.

would be cheaper than the aftermarket controllers.

or you could tap into the wire harness for the fan and make it run all the time that way. same thing, with a relay and a fuse, you could just pull the fuse when you dont have the plow on, it would work normal.

i'd prefer option #1, as it leaves no chance that you will screw something up with the stock fan.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If those are factory fans, they should be more than enough to cool the engine. I'm not familiar with how the fans are controlled on that truck, but the fan doesn't typically come on until ten degrees about T-stat setting.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i'm not sure but couldn't a dealer change the fan settings with a Tech-2 to have them come on sooner/longer/faster etc? I thought i remembered hearing this somewhere but am not certain

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

not unless you spend more money and get like 21" fans,,,i ran 2 16" on my 454 for 5yrs....great around town with plow,,,driving high speeds/long distances,,,forget it.
    controllers are not going to change what the fans can put out,,700cfm (ex) is all the fan can do. either bigger dual fans or go back to clutch fan.

6. dieselss

sorry i misread is that a factory option??/ no clutch fan anymore?

7. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

My 06 1500 Chevy has twin electric fans factory.

8. dieselss

Sorry we don't have 1500s. Im just used to our 2500/3500 they still use the clutch fans