1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

More bad press for lowball plowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PINEISLAND1, Jan 9, 2002.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

One newstation in our town has been on a rampage since the big storm about no show plowers. Now the city has set up "hotlines" for reporting unlicensed and no show plowers, and have gotten the AG involved.

2. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes Member

Boy, Mr. Vander Ploeg sure has a good name in that area now........
  3. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Did you see him on TV Tom?

Man I would hate to be that guy. Camera pointed right at him as he plowed. This complaint seems to come up every year around Grand Rapids. It happens alot here too. In fact that is where I pick up most of my accounts. I have done a great job of raising prices to a comfortable level on the heels of "bad" plowers.

I do like to hear someone always seems to come in and take care of the person who gets skipped.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a witch hunt for all plowers.

I know you and I have discussed "another" company and I am meeting with them on Fri to talk about it.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Yeah Todd, I watched that on tv a couple diff times! What a mess. You kinda feel for the guy, because breakdowns have happened to most of us at one time or another, but after they worked him over, they found out he was unlicensed, and probably uninsured as well. Last year it was Sno-Biz they were following around!

Sounds like a potential storm for us coming. Tell EG that if they need to farm out stuff on the north end or maybe Wyoming we could help them get through. Let me know how it goes.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

this article i agree with....

it is a good way to raise the bar like we've been asking
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I agree he gave the industry a black eye, but how about letting the customer share in the blame. They hired an unlicensed contractor. Probably got a cheaper price, so to save money....

As the guy who hired me yesterday said "you get what you pay for".
  7. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I've seen those news reports as well. That guy will have a hard time getting accounts in the future if he doesn't change his name...

I've been half tempted to write a TV 8 an email telling them to do a story on plowing companies that bust their a$$es and do a good job. Maybe even invite them to ride with me for a 15 hour stint and see what it's like...

Oh well, might as well save my breath.
  8. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Hey Big Todd,

Where are you at?

You sound close to me. I would love to find some guys around here and get together sometime this winter and do lunch.

The main problem the other LC had with them stories is that the news came across as telling people to just call the better business bureau if they have a complaint.

I feel they should first call the company and then, if the problem persists, then call the BBB

This would be scary if everyone quit calling the company and just called the BBB.

I feel better this year knowing that I have some guys that would gladly bail me out of a jam if I needed. (Tom being one:D ) If I were to have a break down at least I know I could "call up the reserves)
  9. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

That's just it, Most people with any common sense would contact the company or person they hired FIRST? Besisdes, if you don't get a complaint now and then, you're just not working hard enough:D . Keep the beuracracy out of it and let us do our job.

By the way, greenquestlawn, I'm in Grand Rapids - northeast side. I think that the comradere between snowplowers is great. I know a bunch of guys around town and even though we compete against eachother for bids and all, I would not hesitate to call them friends. And yeah, I think it would be a great idea to get a bunch of plowers together for lunch.