1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moose Snowplow & Quick Connect Installation

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by TCD, Mar 8, 2009.

1. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Everyone,
    After this winter I'm going to put a Moose Snowplow and Quick Connect on my 2005 Suzuki King Quad. I've already got a 3000 pound Moose Winch on my ATV. I have average skills to install devices however has anyone out there ever installed this combination and how difficult was it? I was trying to find a dealership to install the combination however the costs to install them was more than the plow and quick connect themselves. If it is difficult, would anyone know of a company here in Cincinnati that would do a good job and be reasonable in their pricing. Any direction is appreciated.

Thanks,

TCD

2. mcattardo

mcattardo Junior Member

Are you talking about the Moose Rapid mount plow?

3. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Hey Mark,
    Yes. I have two artificial hips and a fused lower back so I need something that is quick and easy. I'm pretty good mechanically but got to watch what I do. Thanks for the response.

TCD

4. mcattardo

mcattardo Junior Member

On my Grizzly, there are 4 bolts that attach the mount plate to the ATV frame. 2 up front, utilize a u bracket that attaches to a crossbar on the frame. 2 at the back of the plate that attach to a supplied support plate. Installation was pretty simple, but I did lay on the floor to do it. Elevating the front of the quad would have been easier. I have no intentions of taking it off for summer riding. It should make a good bash plate.
    You might consider checking the installation instructions to get a better idea of how it will attach to your KQ
    http://www.mooseutilities.com/index.jsp

2008-12-19 (13) c.jpg

2008-12-19 (19) c.jpg

5. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Thanks Mark...I can do that....

6. FrankET

FrankET Junior Member
    from IOWA

TCD,

You may want to hold off a little while on the Moose Rapid Mount. There has been a few problems with the welds that holds the mounting bar in place. Some guys have had to weld a 1/4" x 2' strap under the rod to keep it from breaking away. Moose is suppose to be working on the problem. I was going to put one on this winter till I found this out.

7. TCD

TCD Junior Member

thanks for the info...didn't know that.

8. mcattardo

mcattardo Junior Member

I didn't know that either. I'll give mine a look see tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

9. FrankET

FrankET Junior Member
    from IOWA

The ones that I have seen are on Can-Am's. There are pictures of some that have come undone on another web site. (Don't know if it's ok to post the name or not) And the fix that the people are doing. All the mounts are different so this may not affect every model.

10. mcattardo

mcattardo Junior Member

Just looked at mine, it looks fine. That's after after a few very solid hits. I googled but didn't find anything on breakage, but did see a mount for a different brand ATV that looked quite different from the one I have.

I'll still keep my eye on it;)

11. TCD

TCD Junior Member

I sent a message to Moose asking them for the mount number for a 2005 King Quad. When I call them I'm going to ask about the problem. I'll let you know what they say. Question for you. I'm going to plow a number of two and three car driveways. Which Moose snowplow would you recommend? As you can tell I'm very new to this subject.

Thanks,
    TCD

12. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

if your just doing drives the 60" Moose would be fine. big time saver over the 50" on the little snow falls. next question is how long are your push's less than 30' each then the standard is fine. if your going long distance the county blade is nice as when up to speed it will roll the snow better than the standard.

your quad will need to be at least 450cc for the 60" blade to have enough power to push it when full of snow.

what is your average snow fall less than 6" with maybe 1-2 12" plus per year or so?
    the 60" is fine for that

are you doing sidewalks at all?
    this is where the 50" blades shine as you can stay on the pavment and not be ripping up the grass with the edge of the blades.

good luck

sublime out.

13. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. Probably a 50 inch so I can do the sidewalks...didn't know you could with a plow. We only have less than a couple of feet of snow per year so I should be in good shape.

Thanks again.TCD

14. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

yea I have a 60" moose plow and 1 of the sidewalks that I due I can fit the blade on it at full angle but the other sidewalk I overhang onto the grass by about 6" and I end up ripping into the yard with the plow.

your choice on it. the 60" does make short work of the drive though due to the extra width. but the 50" would be a better sidewalk blade. and for the bigger snow falls having the smaller width blade is better for getting drives open up as you don't push as much the first pass.