1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moog Ball Joints..Zerk Hits axle U-joint...??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TJS, Sep 29, 2010.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I just finished doing all ball joints on my 2002 F-250 Superduty. I put grease zerks in all of them as Moog has them. The axle U-joint (also new) hits the upper ball joint grease fitting. What does everybody do. I removed the grease zerk and put the plug back in after I made sure it was fully greased of course. See pic. Note, the knuckle in upside down as you can see the grease zerk is on the upper already.
    T.J.

[​IMG]

2. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

I found a different shorter zerk that was shorter. It works fine. I also use a 90 deg adapter to grease it.

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

So you put a straight one in. Correct.
    T.J.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Grease Zerks

What does everybody do. I removed the grease zerk and put the plug back in after I made sure it was fully greased of course.

When I replaced ball joints in my 97 the parts guy told me to do just what you said, I quizzed a buddy who has a automotive repair shop he said to do the same. There's access to put the zerk in and out by rotating the axle, it's tight but doable. I added this to my routine every time I change the oil and such.

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Just did the 03s on saturday and didnt have any clearance problem with the zerks. I used NAPA brand ball joints though. They look like the same zerks though. Clearance is tight but they stayed in tact

6. RIVERVIEW7

RIVERVIEW7 Member

I had to use a right angle one in my friends f350 for the grease fitting.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

See the picture above. I do have a 90 degree zerk in there now and that is what hits. I am going to look for a shorter 90 degree zerk. I also replaced the U-joints with Federal Mogul ones which the caps might be a little higher.
    T.J.

8. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

yes i used a straight one. the 90deg ones are to tall.

9. tanker6

tanker6 Member
    from CT

Someone stated that they managed to shave down the zerk fitting until it had enough clearance.

10. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

You need to look at the axle shaft bearing that is in the rear of the wheel bearing. If that bearing is worn it does not support the shaft enough and alows it to hit the greese fittings. The seal that goes in the spindle also supports the shaft so if you test fit it without that could be the problem too. I have worked on the front end of probably close to 100 of these trucks and never has an issue or had to look for different greese fittings. Just check everything over and you will find your problem.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

The needle bearings were also replaced on the back side of the hub when I did the ball joint job. I got Ford needle bearings for this. I just removed the angled grease fittings and put plugs in there. The truck handles great now.
    T.J.

12. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

You guys are making things more difficult than it needs to be. Put a short straight zerk in the upper ball joint just like the lower and use This on your grease gun. Problem solved in 5 minutes. :laughing: