1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Month Billings?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by snowconcepts, Dec 17, 2005.

1. snowconcepts

snowconcepts Member

How Does Everyone Else Bill? I Have Been Billing For Plowin/salting Monthly. I Have Been Thinking About Billing After Every Storm. What Does Everyone Else Think?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Once a month. All my stuff is seasonal.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Snow
    I bill on the 1st and the 15th of each month. It to much work to bill after every storm.

Regards Mike

4. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

I guess it depends on how much snow your getting..If your getting storms every other week then bill every two weeks. But if your getting storms every other day then bill them weekly. I think after every storm you will have more work to do and your customers will be hit with all these invoices. Just use your best judgment.

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I bill monthly, I agree it's too much work to bill every storm. I have 2 20 yr commercial customers who pay by the season, so 1 bill a season. Sure makes you look forward to spring.

6. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I bill monthly. When I started out and needed the money more than ever, I billed on the 1rst and the 15th, and my customers knew whey I was doing it that way. That helped for a couple of months, then I went to monthly billing on the first of each month. Most people, at least the ones I deal with, only sit down and pay their bills once a month, so I send once a month now for all my customers, even if it is a one time deal for them. If they come out and pay me, then fine, otherwise I send them a bill for my service when I do my regular billing. I know I would not like to get a bill after each occurance, or even twice a month, so I would not do the same. When I did, it was because I needed a cash flow real bad. I know that I would not like to recieve a bill from the power company, phone company or cable company after each occurance or even twice a month, monthly is fine.

7. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

All my seasonal work is billed monthly, everything else is billed on the 1st and 15th. I found out that when i billed once a month that sometimes the bill would get big and most people hate writing big checks compared to a lot of small ones.

8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I bill almost by the storm and or week depending on the forecast. The faster you get them out the faster you get them back! All invoices are sent due upon reciept, if you get a storm on the first of the month and bill it out at the end of the month and they take 30 days to pay, you have waited 2 months to get paid for something you have already paid for all of your expenses on.

Who's account do you want the money in, yours or theirs? The other plus is that the faster you get the bills out the sooner you will find out about any issues and they are usaually easier to resolve while they are fresher in everybody's minds. If somebody doesn't pay or slow pays, you get the opportunity to shut them off faster and there will be less of an outstanding balance.payup payup payup payup

9. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Billed on the first of each month.. Net 30 days or 1 1/2% per month financing option.

I don't know how you guys can bill after each storm. That sounds like alittle much. I've never seen any companies do it that way. My cable, electric, propane, gas, water, phone, house, etc bills are all monthly.

Personally I wouldn't be happy if I got a bill from the same company every week. That would get annoying quick!:eek:

10. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i bill a few after the storm most ive for a few years just becuase thy tend t "forget" how many times they were plowed in a month so now i just send them a bill after each storm no more problems

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I bill monthly on commerical, and per time on residential.

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I bill monthly for everything. Saves a lot of time and makes me look forward to the end of the month! I think my customers like it as well. They always now when the bill is on its way and they can start saving up for it!!!payup :nod:

13. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I bill everyone within 48 hours after a storm. I even send my seasonal
    contract customers an invoice so that they know the services they received.
    I like to take care of billing this fast so there is no questions of the service, plowing only, salting, sidewalks, treating sidewalks etc.
    In NJ we typically have 7 or so storms a year.

14. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

We are not utility companies...

or insurance companies,ect.... BILL ASAP.. i bill the moment the services are complete, that way there is no confusion of when and how much snow there was. Forget about how people pay thier bills. This is about you being able to pay your bills. Why let them have the money sit for 30+ days. #1 rule in accounting is get paid fast. If i could i would get the money as soon as the service is done. Think about if you take your truck for repair or if you have a appliance repaired, you pay on the spot. I never believed in waitin to bill, especially if you have a good billing system. The only way i would bill other than immediately, would be if we were getting a few storms in one week. Then i would wait and bill all storms on one invoice, and thats just to save postage. IF you dont like billing , Do seasonal contracts and only send 3 invoices per season. Easy