1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Monster Long Walks Advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Picked up 3 new large contracts that were up 1st of the year..
    The biggest is a small city with long runs of walks connecting courts together..
    All these walks are 3' wide.... Thinking a atv is to wide, i have never used one..
    Another guy suggested a walker mower which i do like but ground speed is 5mph

Dose a 48" blade fit on a 36" walk angled to one side?

I own a utv thats 4.5' wide thinking about putting a blade on it.. Still think its to wide..

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Well if the UTV is 4.5' wide and there are poles or objects close to the walk it may be to wide. How wide is your dingo? Put a blade on that?

3. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

The dingo is a tracked unit, its pretty slow.. If we get a lot of snow or some heavy frozen crap we use it..

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I know this is no help but are you responsible for these properties for tonight/tomorrow's storm? I know you said the contract opened up jan 1 and with no notice the account was yours until now that would suck.

Wish I had a solution to your problem tho.

5. jhall22guitar

I would look into a big two stage blower? Or a lot of shovelers.

Whats an estimate on how long the walkways are though?

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

snowblower for the dingo....don't know how much sidewalk your really taking about, but a dingo w/blower & a couple guys with 1 or 2stage blowers can do A LOT of 3ft wide sidewalks!

On light snows (2in or less) 2 or 3 guys w/ these http://www.jmenterprises.com/36-WIDE-SNOWGRADER_p_26.html can really knock narrow walks out also.

7. jhall22guitar

3 guys with shovels can do a lot of walkways too! Not sure how fast the dingo is but I would look at the dingo speed with either a plow or blower compared to having 2 guys use 2 stage blowers. Might be cheaper?

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Not sure about the speed of his dingo....but most walk/ride behind mini's are 2 slow to effectively use a blade from my experiences. On top of that, traction isn't the greatest....but a blower is a different story.

9. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

48" to 52" atv blade at full angle will clear down a 36" walk.

10. rebert

rebert Senior Member

I would just use one or two 2stage blowers. Unless were talking about thousands of feet.

11. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

If you own a mini skid already get a blower and a broom and call it good.

Broom for the light snows and blower for the heavier accumulation. Using an asset you already own and consistency from storm to storm

12. XYZSnowPros

XYZSnowPros Member

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have a 48'' ATV plow I done a lot of 36'' walks with it
    Long walks is only way to plow walks
    You might plow some grass but not much If I was you I would take 48'' plow and cut it to fit a 36'' walk