1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Monroe Vbox spreader jammed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kaptain_Kurt, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

On the truck I just bought sits a early-mid 1980's Monroe vbox spreader with an 8hp B&S engine. 2 problems off the bat.

1) The engine does run, but it leaks fuel even when it's not running. Looks like it may be coming from what I would call a bowl with a nut on the bottom of it, part of the carb. I am hoping it's just the gasket that seals this bowl thingy to the housing. Any thoughts?

2) I can't get the spreader to engage. The engine bogs when I hit the switch like it's trying, and I thought I could smell the clutch motor so I shut it down. The guy I got the truck from said that the conveyor gets froze up like that from sitting all year, so I hand shoveled last years load of sand out, and tried to yank on the paddles of the conveyor, to no avail. How do you go about freeing up the chain, conveyor, etc.? I didn't want to pry on the paddles that run inside the hopper and carry the sand, cuz they seemed like they'd bend easily. Any thoughts on that?

thanks,
    Kap't Kurt

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Monroe spreader that we just finished fixing. The bearing inside the clutch had siezed. This part is exposed to the salt as it is the top of everything. I bet that both bearings have siezed on the pully also. That shaft that the clutch and pully are mounted to will bend easily. It has been enlarged on the newer models.

3. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Yeah, that does seem to be the trouble. I forced the shaft to turn with some vice grips and it broke free and does turn the chain just fine. It must be the clutch.

thanks,
    kurt

4. smiti105

smiti105 Member

About the carb. That is the float bowl that is probally leaking. If you remove that bottom nut the "bowl" will come off. Be carefull because your floats are in there along with the needle and seat. Check the gaskette around the top of the bowl which is removed for tears, cracks etc. If it looks like the leak is coming from there that could be your problem. If not check the gas line for damage. Shut gas off prior to starting.

5. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Yeah, I'm hoping that's what it is. I did drop the bowl the other day and the gasket was in pretty sad shape.
    thanks,

kurt

6. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Hey Cet

Hey Cet,
    How do the clutch and pulley come off the dang shaft? It does appear that is my problem. I can force the shaft with a vice-grip and the chain turns etc. With the clutch disengaged the pully freewheels, when I engage it, the whole clutch spins with the pulley until it yanks the wires out of it, then stops. That clutch has 1 nut on it and the pulley has 3 from underneath but do I just beat them upwards and off the top of the shaft???

Kurt

7. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

A photo

Here's a pic.

disc2.jpg

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would guess that you take the chain and the belt off. Open up the gear box and put a gear puller behind the whole gear box and pull it off the spreader. Then you will need the puller again to pull the clutch and pully off.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

After we did all that we cut the shaft that the clutch and pully are on leaving enough room to put a collar on that shaft and add a new piece of shaft. We made the shaft long enough so it would go up through the metal housing above it. We then mounted a piece of flat steel with a pillow block on it to support the shaft. I will see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow to show you. That shaft is a worm gear and they do sell only that part if need be.

10. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Why'dja do all that? To keep the clutch high enough away from the salt?

I like my idea better! Why can't I just beat the pully/clutch off? :)

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That bearing that is siezed on the clutch is going to bend the shaft and take out the top bearing inside the gear box on the worn gear. The only thing from stopping that shaft from bending is that cheap bolt on the clutch. This design sucks. On the new ones that shaft is atleast 1 1/4" on the bottom and tapered to 1" at the sprocket to give it extra strength.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My guess is you will never beat that off with it on the salter without bending the shaft.