1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Monroe Gas Magnums.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Feb 3, 2010.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I seem to remember a couple of people here running these shocks. I was wondering how they were holding up and how is the ride. I prefer the Bilstein HD's but just don't have the money to spend on them right now and was considering the Monroe Gas Magnums instead. These would be for my 98 K3500. Thanks.

Wayne

2. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I just installed them on my 2500HD a few weeks ago and I did notice a change in the ride for the better. My old ones were leaking. I dont know if they will last longer than the Bilsteins but for basically half the price I reccomend them and would go with them.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have them on the front of mine. Does ride better and they have more travel than the oem junk. This is my 2nd winter on them and they are holding up just fine so far. No rust on them yet or anything, although my truck gets washed a ton

4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks guys. I guess I will try them out.

Wayne

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had them on since 8/8/08 ...They seem to be just fine ... Ride changed a bit with Timbrens..I too was short on $$$$
    I believe they have life time warranty on ...Don't remember have to look it up ...

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I went today and bought the Gas Magnums as well as a Gas Magnum steering stabilizer shock. On Tuesday I'm having the pittman arm and lower right balljoint replaced, a front end alignment, and tire rotation done. I figured since the weather has been cold and snowy I would let him put on the shocks and steering stabilizer as well.

Wayne

7. rondoo98

rondoo98 Junior Member

i have them on my 1500 and there fine no probles yet

8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

don't mean to hijack here....is sears any good? they seem to have a variety...i need new shocks too..

9. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

where r you guys getting magnums at?price?

10. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I paid around $100 for the rears on my truck

11. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I bought mine at O'reilly auto parts for $44 a piece. I found them online at amazon.com for around $33 a piece with free shipping. I needed them sooner than I would get them from amazon so I bought them locally.

Wayne

12. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I just installed them in my 3500, they are durable shocks and they last a long time! I have been using monroes in my pickups for over 20 years.

13. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks everyone for their input. I feel better about my decision to go with these. I really wanted the Bilstein HD's but just couldn't swing the cost with the other money I'm putting in the frontend this week. I have the Bilstein HD's on my 98 Z71 and they pretty much feel the same as they did when I had them installed years ago. Thanks again.

Wayne

14. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I got the shocks installed the other day with the other frontend work done and the truck rides good. To be honest though, they don't feel much different than what was on there. Maybe a little firmer. I don't know what brand the shocks that were on it except that one of the fronts was a Gabrial and it was very rusty. Now I think it needs an EVO sensor because it gets that loose feeling occasionally. Does anyone know the GM part # for the EVO sensor for a 98 K3500? Thanks.

Wayne

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Timbren if you have them ...Will take away some of the smooth ride ..... I have noticed that after in stalling new shocks then(later) adding timbrens....