1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Monitoring a plowed lot?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Architerra, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Architerra

Architerra Junior Member
    from USA

Hey everyone, quick question here. How often do you monitor a plowed lot? We will replow/salt a lot as needed within 24hrs for our unlimited seasonal customers, but obviously we aren't posted there for the full 24hrs. So how often should something like this be checked on? Every X hours? How often would you check on it?
    We cant afford to have guys there every hour, but we still want to provide the best service possible. And in case you're wondering, no there was no agreed upon amount, just that we'll monitor for 24hrs. Thanks for the advice!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's a loaded question.
    Is the place open or closed?
    What's the temps? What's the contract say? No tolerance? 1-3?
    How far away are u from the lots?

3. Architerra

Architerra Junior Member
    from USA

Could be during open hours or overnight when they're closed. Its Chicago suburbs so not too cold.

"Blowing, drifting snow, and call back work will be monitored for up to 24 hours after the initial storm, after the 24 hours it is the management agent's responsibility to request a return visit. Billing will occur according to the time and materials rates as quoted herein."

These are on a 1" trigger. About 30 mins away, but its a group of medical offices worth over 100k all together for the season.

4. Architerra

Architerra Junior Member
    from USA

Any advice anyone?

5. dieselss

Well. Either your gunna have to continue to monitor the sites yourself. Make friends with a quickie mart attendant who can alert you to changes. Or the people on site are gunna have to contact you

6. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a decent sized site about 30 minuets from my shop that requires 24-7 monitoring also. I made nice with the guards in the guard shack and now they call me to alert me of changing conditions. Maybe an option?

7. Architerra

Architerra Junior Member
    from USA

Im thinking about just saying we will monitor for 2 hours after the storm ends, then they have to call if needed. Does anyone else monitor plowed lots, and if so for how long?

8. dieselss

I guess I'm not getting it
    You plow, you salt, it starts to melt down before your finished salting and you leave. Why are you gunna sit in a lot and watch the snow melt? If it starts snowing again....reapply salt as needed or replow. Kinda sounds like a mountain outta a mole hill

9. Architerra

Architerra Junior Member
    from USA

Its basically something to keep the client happy, saying "oh we'll be there to check and make sure there isnt any snow drifting etc." Previously we've had this for 24 hours, but as you can guess it was terrible for the guys. So we're trying to reduce it. If, after the 2 hours, there is drifting snow then we come back and charge for a call out, if its not a new snow event (which would be covered by the seasonal unlimited contract)

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

We go thru our accounts after storm is finished to make sure everything is clear. We will also check the following morning after storm before they open for any refreeze.

11. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

Architerra

Let the internet do the work for you. Sit on your couch log into Lake County Passage and view the traffic camera located at the nearest intersection to the lot. By viewing this you can see conditions live. I use this quite a bit as a lot in Deerfield might have 3" and Barrington will have 0. FYI this is Jon from JB Ent.

12. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I do site checks daily, in the early morning throughout the winter. This catches any un plowed parking spots, and any re freeze from the day before.

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

My contract we are responsible for having everything cleaned and salted with in 7 hours of end of storm and after final pass we send email to customer when we finish their place after that their responsible to call us back for refreeze or drifts and they know its x per hour to come back

14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

The internet is funny one of my customers is in Florida for the winter gets the bill and checks internet and say bs we didn't get that much snow well I sent her pictures with a tape measure in the snow at her building showing I was telling the truth
    So be carful going by internet a few miles makes a big difference

15. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Maybe have the contract say you will return 6 hours after, and again 12 hours after. Or whatever, the idea being you return to check 2x in "x" amount of time. 24 hours is a long time to be responsible for things. It must eat into profits?

16. Dustin-M

Dustin-M Junior Member

It really depends on the situation. If it has just snowed and the lot has just been plowed/salted there's really no need to monitor the lot. Site checks on our end are performed daily. We have a truck with a 2 yard spreader go out at 4AM every night to do spot checks for ice build up. If snow is in the forecast, were ready and plow or salt accordingly. Other than that I don't see any need to monitor the site for 2 hours after being serviced. If you plow Monday morning at 2AM, you'll be back on site Tuesday morning at 4AM for a spot check.