1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Monarch Pump

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by Redneck, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Hey fellas,

Looking for a little help with a Monarch Pump 683, I recently bought an Arctic set up and to say the least it was a bit of a challenge getting it operational , anyhow the problem is once the pump warms up, it really has trouble lifting the blade, it angles no promblem but the lift sucks. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance

J

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the internal gear pump is weak.

3. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Monarch

So do you figure its due for a rebuild? The fella I bought it from has another pump there, should I pull the pump out, were due for some snow this eve and Im hoping to go make some $$ payup.

thanks

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would check all your electrical connections as well. If the connectors are split pin they may not be making good contact in the plug. Be careful if you go after the pump seperating the unit. The 683 can be a real PITA to work on with all the valves and coils inside the unit.

I know that Monarch will rebuild this unit. We used it 15-20 years ago on our plows. For those still in service that have issues we refer directly to Monarch.

Good luck.

5. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

What a PITA

Thanks Tom, I just installed it 2 weeks ago but havent really had any snow to work it, when I installed it I soldered all the connections and heat shrinked them, so im guessing thats not problem Im thinkin its something internal within the pump, when the unit is stone cold it will lift quick, as it gets warmer it gets weaker, WHAT A PITA! well I guess |I get to cut all the wires yet again and try the other pump, I hope its not a DUD :gunsfiring:

Cheers

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sounds more like a weak motor and not the pump.

7. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Well this morning I stopped off to see the fella who sold me the set up and bought the extra pump he had there, I hope its better than the on Im running, I did 60 driveways yesterday and Ill tell you what a PITA without the proper lift, here I am packing the pump with snow trying to keep it cool just to get my route done and its -28c too boot. Anyways Is there anyone out there whos a Monarch pro? I could use some advice to maybe build one good one out of the two.

8. toby4492

9. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Thanks toby but the drawing they supply a kinda s**ty im a little worried about disassembling it due to the fact the solenoids are internal and can be huge problems, I spoke with the head tech guy at Monarch here in Canada and they will do the rebuild but that means no pump for 2 weeks and 500-600$ I donno maybe I'll take apart the one thats in the truck now and hope the one I just bought works

10. Crash935

have the motor checked out before you go tearing into the pump!!!

11. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

do you mean presure or the electrical motor itself? I dont seem to have any major draws on the electrical system, does anyone know if theres a filter in this unit?

12. toby4492

If memory serves me correctly there is a micron screen on the pickup tube inside the reservoir.

13. Crash935

There should be a screen.

Yes, check the amp draw.

Might also want to have the PSI on the pump checked before you tearing everything apart.

14. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Thnaks for the ideas fellas any idea what kind of draw I should have?

I spoke with monarchs tech guy he told me theres a good chance the pump is worn out or the relief spring is toast, I turned it in one turn and I helped a little, Im just a little concerned with over doing it, I was also told if I did overtighten it it could cause damage to the pump body does anyone know how many turns I can go?