1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Monarch 7/W Power Pack

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mustangEd, Jan 4, 2009.

1. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

Hey everybody,
    first post here, excellent forum with lots of good reading.
    I just finished a complete overhaul for my western isarmatic3,
    and adding up all the costs, I believe this power pack would be a better value than overhauling my old western again.

does anyone have experience with these units good, bad or otherwise?

availability of parts/ compatibility of parts to other manufacturers?

I would appreciate any feedback.

https://www.snowplow.net/Accessories/New-Power-Packs/New-Monarch-Power-Packs/Snowplow-Power-Pack/10983/

Quote from parts supplier-
    "Monarch's M3583 has been field proven for over 6 years. This unit features external valving. The benefits of external valving is in the event of a coil or valve malfunction, it can be serviced in the vehicle. Typical mounting is underneath the hood if space is available, alongside a frame rail or wherever your imagination can come up with. We have actually seen them mounted in the cab on older work trucks."

Not a lot of info about the unit on the web page but it appears to be self contained
    and complete minus power wires and hydro. hoses. a lift cylinder would have to be
    installed but this seem to be a rather easy and cost effective up-date for a very old
    system. my plow assembly (moldboard, a-frame,cylinders, and mount) is in very good condition.

thanks,
    Ed

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

monarch makes a great unit. Have had several units and are dependable and easy to service ( if ever needed). On plus, they are built in GR Mi

3. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

thanks for the response,
    local manufacture is definitely a bonus.
    is the lift/angle speed more in line with new plows or
    older designs?

4. Crash935

They are inline with all other new pump designs

5. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I had a unit like that on my '86 F350 years ago. Worked fine, never any problems. Drop speed was non adjustable and the plow dropped like a rock. Was never a problem for me except that I'd throw a piece of scrap wood on the floor in the shop before dropping the plow. I'd only consider one if you have room under the hood to mount it.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Their good units. Drop speed adjustability can be added with a flow restricter in the lift hose for a couple extra bucks.

And their less expensive here: Pierce

7. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

Thanks for all the input guys,

this seems like a good value to upgrade a older setup.
    i think next time the western goes down for repairs,
    i will upgrade from cables to a monarch.

thanks again,
    Ed

8. Crash935

Ed,

As long as you have the room under the hood, its the way to go when the old cable pumps start finally giving up.