1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

moldboard lifting

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Help, my moldboards coming off!
    After the last storm I noticed my moldboard face is peeling up on both sides at the bottom. I don;t really have a good understanding of how the box is constructed. Is this welded from the back, or what? Can it be re-attached easily?

I just had the plow professionally sandblasted and painted, and they noticed some cracks on the back of the box, but not at the moldboard face.

Looking to do the edges soon, should I wait until the center edge is off to try to re-attach it?

I've always figured it would be better to just keep this plow and pick away at it as things wear out, rather than buy a new one, but at what point is it just too far gone? I mean, obviously I can keep replacing pistons and lines, but if the box falls apart, what then?

This is a really old plow. It's a 1999 810, serial number 15. Yeah, it's old.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Wow number 15, that's old! If your getting rid of it, there would be many buyers!

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

The skin can be plug welded back to the inner structure. The spot welds have let go. I'd fix it sooner than later, just to keep it from getting completely loose.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Had it fixed, then the wings wouldn't go in. They tried to tell me it was ice or rocks in the box. But both wings went in exactly 2 inches which is where the first weld is. So, they fixed it, worked good for ten minutes now one goes in but stops about 4 inches shy of being all the way in.
    But hey, my moldboard isn't lifting anymore.