1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mold board repairs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baddboygeorge, Nov 23, 2002.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i bought another plow truck an the meyers plow with is has a mold board that has rusted out spots in it .the question is can that be replaced without buying a complete mold board .the mold board frame is in great shape its just the light gauge metal on the front that is bad.please help an by the way send the snow our way thanks again george:confused: :confused:
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Rusted Moldboard

Sure you could reskin it, but is it that bad? You can weld or even rivet some patches over the holes as long as it dosn't effect the structure of the plow. Why don't you do a little patch work and put a poly liner over the front. This would make the plow look good and the snow wouldn't stick to the front either.:eek: John
  3. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Like Garagekeeper said patch it up for now but I would look for another blade as a backup and maybe future replacement.
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you could have someone weld a small piece of sheet metal on the back of moldboard, then patch up the front of moldboard with epoxy. Then paint it and it should look better.

Last winter after the first storm I noticed that there was a small crack on the moldboard but it was hard to notice without taking a close look. Because of the resource that I learned from this site, I learned to inspect the plow after the storm so that what I did. I saw a couple of cracks where the angle arms are attached to the moldboard. The moldboard is made of 14 gauge steel (Fisher 6.5' MM snowplow). I took it to my local welder and he did the exact same thing as I described above. After he weld in some metal to back of moldboard, I painted it and it looks much better. I plowed it through the second storm and did not notice any problem. It appear to me that it solved the problem.