1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mold board issues

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by NickT, Mar 10, 2011.

1. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I have several small cracks on the moldboard its at least 12 years old should I look into replacing it or just weld and paint . Will try to attach a pic

2. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

if plow works good patch and paint.. im running some plows that are over 20 years old still work fine payed for their self first seasoni used them .. keep them painted and stored inside they can last for a long time would like to see crakes that need fixed if you dont do something to it it will go quick

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Thanks racer will try to attach a pic after the storm I'm on my blackberry now not sure how to do it. Plow is inside all year and painted also. Most of the issue is down by the cutting edge seems to be rusting out

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

at the end of each season, i go over the plows, and weld anything that needs it before painting and putting away for the summer.

5. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Just thought I'd update I talked to a local, long time in business fabrication shop and asked them for a quote to remove the existing mold board skin and roll and install a new one long story short he quoted me 200 bucks looks like ill be painting this summer. Anyone in the stark county area of ohio pm me and ill give you the name. Ok any painting tips or products to use please reply

6. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I was thinking also to get a qute from them to fabricate a set of wings do you usually make them 1 foot on each side?

7. tjctransport

i prep my plows with ospho, then prime with rustoleum industrial red oxide primer and paint them with rustoleum industrial safety yellow paint.

i cut it 30% with acetone, and spray it on.

8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

thanks tjc one question whats ospho?

9. tjctransport

10. NickT

NickT Senior Member

11. tjctransport

the main use is to neutralize rust, but it also says it can be used to prepare new metal for painting.
    i don't see where it would hurt.
    just follow the directions. i spray it on with a weed sprayer, and let it sit in the sun for 2-3 days to dry completely. you will know when it is ready to prime, the metal will turn black, almost like you painted it with flat black paint. (at least the rusty metal does).

i use it on everything. plows, truck frames, truck sheet metal, truck bodys.

i buy it by the gallon, and usually use 3-4 gallons per year.