1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moisture in headlight

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Kevo98, Dec 10, 2006.

1. A while back I noticed the right headlight on my 1998 Dodge 2500 getting a little moisture buildup. After a while I had accumulated enough water inside the lens to see it sloshing around. There were no cracks in the lens itself so I figured there was a crack in the rear housing, or the seal connecting the housing to the lens was shot. I took the housing out, upon inspecting it found no visiable signs of defect so I put it face down on a paper towel, filled it with water, and let it sit for a few days. It did not leak a drop so I figured maybe the bulb just wasn't tight from the last time I changed it (which was not too long before this happened) and I re-installed the housing and made sure the bulb went in correctly and fit snug. Now I have moisture in it again and I cannot figure it out. The bulb assembly including the o-ring are in excellent shape. So before I shell out $140+ for the headlight housing I figured I'd run this by the masses and see if anyone has had a similiar problem or has any suggestions. Thanks in advance for all the help.
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You now have to make sure you got all the moisture out of the lens. So take a hair drier to make sure its dry
  3. I think I dried it out pretty well. I placed it in my boiler room (which gets really hot sometimes) lens side up for a few days and then turned it over onto it's lens for a few days. I would guess that this would have dried it out as best as it could. Thanks for the input.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

make sure the bulb seals correctly AND the oring on the bulb base is good. That;s most likely the cause. the orings get torn and nicked easy after the silicone lube is gone. dielectric grease will work as lube to replace it.

"float" the housing in a pail of h20, open end up, with enough weight in it to bring the seam below the water line and see if it leaks.... If it doesn;t sink it HAs to be the bulb area.