1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moisture in connections

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LHL Inc., Oct 18, 2008.

1. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I have an older mvp and every time i plow when it is warm out and snow is really wet, water or moisture will get in the 9 point connection and the plow will start moving the wrong way, i have dielectic.grease in the connection is there anything that is better? :realmad: Thank you.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Cheap way - run a wire tie around the outside of the rubber housing to tighten it up.

Correct way - replace the plow side connectors.
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I had taken the cover off of mine and covered every connector with white lithium grease. The stuff last forever and stand up well to salt too.
  4. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Have Tried the cable ties and both of the connectors were replaced last year. Its only when you get in some slush and really wet snow but it still pisses you of when the plow all the sudden goes wacko!
  5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Why even mess around with it? Just get it replaced so you don't have to worry about it.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you didn't replace both the truck and plow side connectors already, I sugesst you do so.
  7. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

As i Said, I replaced both of the connectors last year. Actualy I have replaced both of the 9 Point connectors and both of the power connectors. There has to be a better water protectant than the dielectric grease.:mad:
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid film

BAYDOG Junior Member

Fluid Film!!!!
  10. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I was wondering about that do you Just put it on the plug or do you put on the connectors? Thanx 4 the replies!!!!:waving:
  11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've never found any treatments to keep water out enough to prevent problems. I saw more problems from the plugs pins and opposing connectors loosening up than I did from water. I'm not sure what the pins look like an an mvp but if they are like a unimount pro's plugs, you can expand the pins in the connector. An o-ring pick or awl, carefully but somewhat forcefully, stuck into the center of each pin should spread them out a little to tighten the connection. You may also be able to squeeze the other connectors openings together a bit with pliers or to make a tighter fit.