1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Moisture in bulk salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just bought about three tons of salt that had been sitting all summer under a tarp. The tarp was pretty ripped up so I suspect the salt is pretty full of water from rain and humidity. I've moved it to a shed I built this summer.

If I let it sit for a week or two before I treat it, can I expect that a good part of the moisture will get squeezed out?
  2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I don't know what you have for equipment but I went through this a few years ago with about 6 yards of salt that was left outside all summer with a swiss cheese cover. It was very clumpy and wet so I spread it out to about 2" deep on the pavement and then just ran over and over it with the loader tires to bust it up and then let it sit in the sun for a few hours then turned it a second time and ran over it some more and let it sit in the sun. Seemed to dry it out pretty good. As far as treating you will have to ask someone else on that one as I have only bought treated salt already treated.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks, Jeff. It's not clumped, really. Just had a few small clumps I got from the top of the pile. Right now, I've got it in an 8'x8' shed that I built. I put a heavy piece of plastic lining on the floor to catch the Magic and channel it to the front so I could catch and reuse the runoff. I don't have a loader or anything like that to spread it out to run over it.

I know water will run off wet sand, just don't know if salt is the same way.