1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mods to your SB plows

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by Goofyexponent, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Let's see how creative you guys are getting with these plows!

I used a set of factory SB slid shoe brackets and put a set of Western skid shoes in them. I had to ream them out with a bigger bit and welded a piece of pipe on it to maintain stability so the show won't tip sideways. I will post a picture of that.

Plow Skid Shoes.jpg

Then last night, in all my boredom I made a set of head gear for her....also using a set of brackets my buddy gave me. I welded some 2" pipe to them and ran a pece of angle iron across the top to hold actual plow lights. I am picking up a set today or tomorrow. I will be using a 7 pin trailer plug in to run the high beams, low beams, signals and marker lights as well as the ground. Keeping things all nice and neat, tide and professional looking.

Plow Lights.jpg

All the brackets and new metals are simply bolted to the plow using factory bolt holes. All the brackets I made will be painted to match the plow....I actually have 3 "orders" in tot build 3 more sets! $$:mechanic:

Plow Lights.jpg

Plow Skid Shoes.jpg

2. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

here,s a picture of the lights and mounts that i made
    1/2 cast iron pipe bolted to plow frame some angle braces and a piece of angle iron bolted on top put some cheap wally world lights on it works ok
    i changed the strap to a chain works better then the strap which kept fraying 100_0470.jpg

100_0470.jpg

3. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Well, I got sick of procrastinating and went to the shop...here's the finished product.

Headgear3.jpg

Headgear2.jpg

Headgear.jpg

The headlights on teh plow are the only headlights that come on with the light switch. the truck headlights don't work unless I plug them back in....2 second job to do that.

The signal lights actually work peoperly, with the truck's indicators.

I need to add a brace or two to stop the leadlights from shaking so badle, but I think I accomplished a LOT in 2 hours!

Headgear3.jpg

Headgear2.jpg

Headgear.jpg

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Big plow envy?

5. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

In all ways but when it comes to the price tag!:D

Even used gear around here is beat to HELL and sells for no less than $2500. I am not paying $2500 for something that has NO warranty and will break everytime I need to work.

I've had GREAT luck with snowbear plows in teh past, and I am sure this one will be the same way!

6. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

nice light setup looks alot more heavy duty then mine
    i hope you don,t mind if i copy it
    great job

7. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Not at all! I will even go so far as to take measurements if you want! One thing I need to change is a couple braces to hold the lights from vibrating so much. I just used bed rail angle iron I found at the shop in the scrap pile. I just need to stiffen the upper brackets a little more with a piece of flat bar and it's gold!

As far as the wiring, it's just a 5 pin trailer connector (1st pin ground, 2nd pin high beam, 3rd pin low beam, 4th pin right signal and 5th pin is left signal. Unplugs as easily as the winch and tucks away nicely.

If you want measurements just let me know, I can take more detailed pictures and provide all teh measurements!

8. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

Info would be great as I'm going to fab up something similar for my SB which is getting switched to a Jeep Cherokee as a driveway/backup unit.

9. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Sure thing! as soon as I find my measuring tape I will get measurements.

Everything I made here is out of 1/8" angle iron. Hindsight being 20/20, I wold go with 1/4" or 3/16" to prevent the shaking in the lights. I thought I would save weight using thinner material, which I did....BUT it makes the lights shake like crazy!

3/16" will be find for most people, but if you are only running a 1/4 ton or something light....you may just want to stick with 1/8" angle.

Now, the measurements I took, are going to look badass on a ford pickup with this same body style, or a full size truck. Smaller trucks, vans and SUV's are going to need modifications. Some to accomidate headlight height, angle, hood releases etc. My measurements are to be used as a guideline only. Please mock this up with tack welds with the plow on your vehicle and look for any and all conflicts between headgear and your vehicles' body!!

measurements to follow tonight or tomorrow!

10. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

great
    thanks