1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mods that won't void my warranty

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMC99, Sep 23, 2003.

1. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Im looking into some mods for my 2500 series which has the 360 in it, I've been looking at superchargers but im concerned about the realiability and the stress they may put on the motor Any input on this would be great! Also the cold air intake is it really worth the money? Is there a noticeable difference? But at the same time I don't want to void my warranty. Im not to sure how picky dodge is about this kind of stuff?!?!? Any help would be great! THANKS!

2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

my dad has that engine in the dakota heres what he did
    1 put on functional ramair
    2 headers all new exaust (flowmaster)
    3 changed the computer stuff
    those mods increased the horses dramaticly id say at least 75 theres a noticable difference
    dont bother with the cold air intake wont notice a difference but the engine will breathe better
    hope i helped:drinkup: :drinkup:

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I know this is an old post,but I am no stranger to modifying the RAM 2500's :D . 99GMC, if you are looking for a serious increase in performance,I honestly feel you bought the wrong truck.I like the 360,but it is seriously dated,and low on power. I would sell the truck and get the V10 or Cummins or a GM 8100 if you want good power.If you add a supercharger to the 360 you'll be runnign 93 octane all the time,and and have zero warranty.Worst part is the power will barley be on par with a stock V10,or mild Cummins.Your trans wont like a supercharger at all,plan on money for that too.For small 10-20 hp gains,get an exhaust,intake system,and leavei t at that unless your willing to run 91 octane,then get the mopar performance computer .

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

360s

I always thought the 70's 340 and 360 Dusters had decent power ....at least they did good smoke shows

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

John, my friend has the V10 in his Dodge with a stick shift. He loves it! Im not sure of the year, but its the style like yours, not this newest style out, maybe a 99 or 00. He did headers, exhaust, a homemade cold air kit, roller rockers and he also put in that Mopar performance computer you mentioned. I think he may also have a low temp thermostat too. His truck is pretty damn fast for a 2500 work truck. Its a stripper model with no options at all, he got it that way on purpose to save weight. Its a regular cab, 2wd truck. Mike :waving:

6. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Yeah I realized that the 360 dosen't have as much power as you would think. It actually seems like the 1/2 ton GMC with the 5.3 had more power than this truck does. Im dieing for a HEMI, after test driving one I can't get it outta my head, it's the first full size truck I've drivin that will do a burn out from a stand still! Well hopefully it will snow lots this year so I can go buy one!!

7. John DiMartino

GMC99,the 5300 GM should smoke your 360.Dont forget the 1/2 Gm truck is at least 800 lbs lighter,probably closer to 1000lbs lighterThen the 5300 has at least 40hp on the 360 Dodge.I have a few friends with 360's,while they run OK,no one who's bought one is happy with the power,or fuel mileage.2 of them have wasted about 1000 dollars trying to make it perform well,and the power gain is hardly noticeable.The V10 option costs under 1000 dollars.You see where Im going with this.At least with a V10 you have serious power.

8. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Thats another thing the gas mileage is horrible! I almost got ran over today by a semi cause the damn truck wouldn't move! The power issue is even worse on the express way doing over 65. What do you think of the HEMI? I really want a cummins, but Im concerned about the cold weather issues, I do alot of snowmobiling in the U.P of michigan, and it gets damn cold up there, and if I have no where to plug it in, whats gonna happen. That and dodge dosen't offer a warranty with a cummins and a plow...

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Cummins will start fine in really cold temps as long as the batterys are in good shape.You can also easily disconnect the grid heaters and use either if necessary.As long as the truck has the plow prep,Dodge will warranty the truck no problem.

10. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Thats the problem, theres no plow prep package available for the diesel.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

That's news to me.Where did you hear that ?

12. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

I heard it from the dealer, they said the weight of the diesel and a plow is to much for the front end to handle, which obviously isn't true cause I've seen tons of them. Thats why I was looking into the hemi. Anybody wanna buy my truck! LOL

13. John DiMartino

GMC99,I would recheck the plow issues,Ill have to look into it myself. BTW the CUmmins is a great starter cold.Mine has never not started,even upstate riding snowmobiles. You can always run Amsoil 5w30HD diesel oil,with a good set of batterys this should fire you right up at -20.BTW as for power,there is just no comparison at all.where your 360 is gasping and dying on the freeway,the Cummins is just beginning to stretch its legs,and there is finally enough load to let the engine/turbo work a little.The diesel loves to work hard,the more you keep them to the floor,and the bigger the trailer,the better they seem to run.

14. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Well I went out looking tonight, I found a 2002 2500 with the v10, the plow prep package, towing package etc. with 7000 miles on it for $26,000. But then I found a 2003 crew cab with the hemi, plow prep and it's completely loaded Heated seats and the goodies for $29,000. My trucks goin to the dealer on monday to have some things fixed, so Im gonna try to get a hemi for a loaner car to see how I like it. Thanks for all your help!!

15. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

well I did it, I went out and bought a brand new 2003 cummins! , crew cab short bed. This truck is bad ass. The power is unbelievable! and the gas mileage is even better. Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll post pictures soon.

16. wyldman

wyldman Member