1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mods and add-ons to your plow/frame

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by randym99, Nov 9, 2008.

1. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Any one made improvements to the stock snowsport to make it work better or suit theirs needs more??lets see em and hear what you have done.

2. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Yes i've made new pins for the top of the plow that holds the blade in more securely! And put in grade 8 (4" long bolts and weld new Grade 8 spacer's to go behind the bolts.

C.

3. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

The original 3 1/2" bolts showed signs of damaged to the upper 1/4 of the bolt because they are too short for the plow/intercepter assembly.

C.

4. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

I welded a steel loop to each end of the pushframe and hook a racket strap from them to each of my tow hooks.I seldom use it angled anyway and this takes some stress off the 2x2 pc that goes in the hitch

5. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

I am thinking of reskinning my plow .(swapping out the alum for lexon)Has anyone else used this stuff to build their blade.I think it would be good,Light,slippery,no paint needed,and being see though it would have that"cool look".Any comments would be welcome.Thanks

6. LEVE

LEVE Member

I'll soon be going down to HarborFreight and buy a 12volt winch. The plan is to bolt on a platform on the winch and run cables up and around the plow uprights to lift/lower the plow.

7. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Hey Leve what are you wanting the winch to do?Is it just to lift it (to pin for transport)or are you planing on lifting every time to back up?I have "lift legs" on mine(one on each side in 3" from the end)They just dangle along while plowing but when I back up they catch,lay against the blade, and pivit it up off the surface about 5".What I like about them compared to a fixed pivot is that while plowing they don't keep the weight from being put on the cutting edge(important for that scraping effect)I made them from a pc of 1/4x2"flat bar welded to a heavy hinge than bolted pcs of tire tread rubber to them(as a wear surface)They don,t wear that much(the pavement still has some snow/wetness most times) so they don't really drag that hard.I have thought of mounting a right angle gear Hand winch on a sq tube frame that wound drop into the push frame for lifting for tranport.I was going to have it lift up to the pins and than just have a couple of safety chains that would assure it stayed up there.Just some ideas to think about.

8. LEVE

LEVE Member

9. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Ok ,I can see what your doing there now. Being able to take smaller bites and still getting it all moved.I don't run into that much here but I can see it could be handy by times.I will try and get some pics to you of what I have geared up.

10. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

LEVE, dont know if you have done your winch set up yet, saw these at my local harbor freight, really cheap.Item Detail for SKU # 95912

Camouflage 12 Volt 3000 Lb. Capacity Wireless Remote Controlled Portable Winch with Roller Fairlead
    wireless Remote control gives you safety and freedom of movement during vehicle recovery.

6 feet per minute @ 3000 lbs.
    Two button forward/reverse remote control
    Freespooling
    Drop-forged hook with safety retaining clip
    7 gauge mounting plate is predrilled for installation
    30 ft. of 3/16" zinc-plated high carbon steel cable
    Ideal size for SUVs, ATV or yard tractors

Overall dimensions: 8" L x 9" W x 7-1/2" H; Mounting plate dimensions: 8-7/8" x 4-7/8" x 5/8"
    Weight: 18.9 lbs. $49.99.

about 100 bucks cheaper than the one i used on my garden tractor, and it wasnt wireless remote.

11. LEVE

LEVE Member

Yep, I saw that at $39.95. I'm on their Email list...The Email referenced Item 92860. I've have been carrying around the coupon since Wednesday of last week. I may just go down an pick one up tomorrow morning as the discount is over tomorrow. It should work just fine for what I'm planning. When I'm done, I'll post a couple of pictures.

[​IMG]

12. LEVE

LEVE Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  13. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

LEVE, good thing you didnt get the wireless unit, i read in the manual it continues to release several feet of cable after the button is released. the one you got went on sale today in my area. that one ought to do the job for you. dont forget pictures.

14. kim2678

kim2678 Junior Member
    from Ohio

SnowSport HD Lift

I have designed a little something for the SnowSprot plow a winch operated lift system that works great and I can still angle if I need to. You can install this system after is manufactured with little effort and tools. It allows you to stack snow piles to between 5 and 6 feet high. I have no pictures but have 2 videos on youtube as SnowSport HD Lift and SnowSport HD Lift Plowing Church Lot. It still allows you to let the blade fall back if I remove the bungee's that I use for back dragging.

15. nickp

nickp Junior Member

I'd like to see those pics as well if you don't mind.

16. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

mod pics

Some pics of my lift stands.

Picture 056.jpg