1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Modifying tailgate spreader auger for bulk ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dvlscapes, Nov 30, 2007.

1. dvlscapes

dvlscapes Junior Member

I have come into a situation on a subcontract which I am most likely going to have to spread bulk salt through my 800 # buyers tailgate spreader. Some on here claim it cant be done while others on here claim they been doing it for years. My question is if you were going to modify the auger in some way, what would you do to it so it would handle bulk more efficiently.

I also plan on putting a heavy duty screen at the top, what size holes would you guys recommend?

2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

1.5" holes in screen.

3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I guess I don't under stand. I have used bulk or bag in my spreader since I got it. Snoex 575. I guess I thought they all had a screen in them. If it didn't come with one I would make one. Mine is expanded steel , and yes I have to bust up a few clumps once in a wile while loading it. But it's a heck of a lot cheaper than bag salt1

4. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

what snowpower & absoluteH&L said is true. Part of the trick is to get the bulk salt straight out the mine or a covered depot. If its been hanging around out side even under a tarp it will absorb moisture and 'chunk up'

Simply put a properly fitted piece of expanded metal (2" is good) will work nicely, after you shovel it onto the spreader throw the chunks that are left over off the truck

Buy you own supply of bulk salt & keep the salt dry

Someone else's bulk salt stored in an open exposed bin won't help you. They will have the big V-boxes that will grind up the salt. You don't have that luxury

5. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

What about putting a vibrator on your spreader.