1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Modifying Snoway mounting Frame??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CTerrySGD, Nov 1, 2005.

1. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

I have two snoway 29 series. I love them both except for one thing. The mount for the truck frame hangs down pretty low. I moved the middle bar up to the highest holes and that seems to give me enough room under the middle bar, but that still leaves the side pieces hanging down to hit on curbs.... Has anyone raised the middle bar and then cut off the excess side pieces with a torch or cutting wheel? I don't think it will hurt anything but wanted to see if anyone had issues with the downpressure not working with the mount raised up? Snoway recommends that the bottom hinge be like 10-12 inches off the ground and I think mine is higher now.....

I'd also like to hear from people that own snoways if they like them or not? I have had no issues in two seasons with mine besides a spring perch bolt breaking, a remote breaking b/c i dropped it and the moldboard tripping to often until i really tightened down the springs... Other than that I think they're great. Anyone else?

2. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I think cutting it or changing the structure of the frame is a really bad idea. It was designed and built that way for a reason.
  3. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with JTW, dont cut away anything, Call snoway and talk to andy!
  4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've had my snoway since '97. Replaced one piston. Otherwise it never let me down. You can tighten up the springs to keep the trip blade from going so easly. They set it up by default too light.

I agree with the others do not cut frame. As for the frame being too low - is it any lower than your axel hubs?
  5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

It is my understanding that modifying any part of a plow or any other automative accessory put a great deal of liability on the person modifying the item. As an example, you modify the plow, even in the simple manner you are describing, the plow falls off, damages your vehicle and someone elses oncoming vehicle. I would not want to be party to the insurance finger pointing party.
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't you be liable anyway if your plow fell off and casue that damage???