1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Modifying for Down Pressure?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Emstaxi, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Has anyone modified their blizzard plow to apply down pressure? My dealer said that he knew of guys who did this some how using the lift cylinder to push down. Any ideas?

2. truckie36

truckie36 Member

I would imagine that it's possible (pin the latch to the truck mount + whatever wiring is needed to activate the cylinder), but why would you want to?
    Are the few times that it may come in handy worth the effort to make it happen + wearing out the cutting edge faster and needing to turn it off at the end of the run so that the plow will ride up the bank?
    The only choices that I had for my Expedition were Sno-Way or Blizzard, I chose the Speedwing over down pressure. The blizzard scrapes better than any plow I have ever used. Just my 0.02 :)

3. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

It just seems that when I back drag, especially with this last storm, the blade would not scrape all the way to the ground. It would start out that way and then rise up leaving a half inch of packed snow... Unless i'm doing it wrong. Most times I leave the blade straight when dragging unless there is a small spot to scrape up-then I angle the blade so that the corner digs in.

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

backdragging with downpressure dosent always work, even the snoways tend to ride over some snow w/dpressure on

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Look how a blizzard is set up. There is noting for the lift arm to push against in the other direction

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats what I was thinking. Plus, you have to remember its a plow it will float over snow when back dragging. If you want downward pressure buy a skid loader. wesport

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Send a PM or email to Jerre Heyer, I think he has done a few.

8. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

yes your doing it wrong Drop your blade at the bottom of the drive push the snow up the drive then drag your pile out.

9. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Thanks for the replies...I cant afford a skid loader...wife would divorce me...lol. When I back drag, mostly when i'm near garage doors, i'll go forward to scrapes then drop the plow in front of what I scraped and drag it out. it just seems that some times the snow gets packed down and won't come up unless I angle the blade and let the corner dig up the packed snow.

10. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

down pressure mod on the 810's gives the plow around 2900# of cutting edge force possible, vs. the 720-750 that it normally puts down.

mod on 760lt's gives about 2000#. vs. 440-460# normal.

welder is required. we have done a couple of the kubota rtv's too with the 720's

jerre

12. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

What does the mod consist of? Do you have pictures? any changes to the controller?

13. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

You have to weld a plate to the pushbeam on the truck side and drill a couple of holes in the plow side or add plates there for the locking pin. On the straight blades you can use one of the wires in the harness as your jumper wire and only add another switch inside the cab. On the 810's and 8611's you have to add another wire and a switch. Picts don't show much besides the added pin and brackets.

Jerre

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry, my pics of the down pressure mod suck and I still don't have my flash working. Have to buy a new camera I think.

15. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Almost 2yrs later after i started this post, I was able to see Jerre for the dp mod. Thanks Jerre. I will post pics soon

16. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Its funny cause I narrowed my search down to a Blizzard or a Sno-Way for my 04 Dakota. For me it came down to DP after seeing it in action from a fellow Dakota owner. I liked the Blizzard because I could have a 29" Blade Height that was 8' long and weigh less then 500#s. The Sno-Way was a 26" Blade Height that was 7.5' long that came in under 500#s. The only problem I had with the Blizzard was the mount height for stacking in my paticular setup.

But if that were corrected, and a Blizzard had DP like my Sno-Way I would have easily chosen the Blizzard I think.

That DP works great on ice, and the speedwings are cool, but doing hotel parking lots meant I need to move alot of snow fast, and still be able to get in to individual spaces and stack pretty tall.

I guess theres no 1 perfect plow... just the best compromise for your needs.

But a DP Blizzard sounds awesome wesport