1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Modify used Plow width?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westbrooklawn, Dec 16, 2003.

1. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

I feel this question is going to get a lot of snickers and chuckles.....but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I am looking for a 6.5' - 7' used plow for a 1997 wrangler and I'm not having much luck. I am, however seeing a lot of 7.5' plows. It seems to me that it would be easy to cut 6" off each side, move the curved outside support to the new end, and weld it all back together. Is this an option, or are the 7.5' plows heavier all over and therefore you wouldn't gain the weight savings of a stock 6.5' plow?

Has anyone done this before with any success?
  2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

i would just buy some load boasters for your front end and run with a 7.5, it seems to me like a jeep would handle the load and be a reeal work horse. The only problem i would be worried about when fabricating is messing up the structural aspect of the plow....not to say it couldnt be done and done safely, but i would just stick to stock if at all possible.

As far a weight savings i really dont think you would be looking at a significant amout taken off it cut down an existing plow....you would most likely end up having to add additional suports and not lose that much wieght
  3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

not worth it, just get a new 6.5 or 7ft plow
  4. Sndun

Sndun Member

If you're looking at a Sno-Way, you can pick up a new 6'-8" moldboard for a few hundred and be done.

If not, I would most likely leave it the width it is. If it's too big the I would look to trade it or cut it down as a last resort.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I hope your a good welder!:cool:
  6. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

I used to have a 6.5 foot plow on my jeep but i made 2 extensions for it. Now it is 7 foot8 inches,and the extensions have held up well. The plow looks a little out of place on my jeep but it is nice to use....i just couldn't get used to plowing with a 6.5 foot plow when all i have used is a 7.5 foot.
  7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a 6 1/2' Fisher on my '85 CJ-7, and I wouldn't consider having anything bigger on there. But I'm in Maine, and we can get 12"-16" of snow in one shot. In our last 12" storm, I'm not sure my truck would have pushed a 7 1/2' plow -- even at full angle. In 6" of snow, I think a 7 1/2' would be fine on my truck.

However you're in NC, so you may be fine with a 7 1/2'. You probably never get more than 6" at a time, right?

Jeff Pierce
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We have done the exact thing a few times. Alot easier to cut down then to add on. Last plow went from 7.5' to 6' 9"