1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Modify Uni-Mount for new vehicle?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by seres, Dec 21, 2014.

1. seres

seres Junior Member
    from Alaska

This forum is a wonderful source of information, and I have been lurking and searching, and learning for years. Now I have a specific question...

I have a 7.5-foot Pro-Plow utilizing the older Uni-Mount and 9-pin Relay style control, currently mounted on a 1988 Chevy K2500. I am buying a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500, and I want to transfer the plow.

I do NOT want to use the plow lights. I only plow on my farm during the day, and have had problems with the light relay, so I do NOT want to cut into the new Ram 2500 wiring harness any more than absolutely necessary. I will never drive on the highway with this plow mounted.

My plan is to…

1) Buy and install a Western #61437 9-pin control harness. I understand this harness does NOT have any provision for the lights, and so I think would be easier to install.

2) Remove and re-install the Battery Cable and Relay for the power side.

My MAIN QUESTION concerns mounting the plow to the Ram 2500.

Western does not make an older-style Uni-Mount to fit the new Ram 2500. I could buy a new-style Ultra-Mount and the 27170 conversion kit, but I would prefer to modify the existing Uni-Mount to bolt-on the Ram 2500. Or...

In 2011 someone posted on this forum that the uni-mount vehicle mounts could be purchased in pieces and then welded together. Does anyone know where I can find these parts?

If I can not find these parts, I could fabricate the parts myself and weld the existing Uni-Mount to bolt-on to the Ram 2500. Has anyone done this?

Any suggestions or comments on any part of my plan? Thanks!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. So you have a 2015 you don't wanna hack the wiring, but your ok mounting a hacked up plow mount to it.
    Wiring which is, well wiring and it's under the hood.
    The hacked up mount...structurally needs to be strong yet give during a crash. And we'll the looks. Your gunna have a unimount frame hanging out in front of a 2015...WHY. all you have is a plow and imo to small for that trk but I don't know what your plowing. Why not just buy the correct set up and do it right.

3. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

indeed just buy the right setup for the truck.

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I have a unimount, and it's a great setup. If I bought a new truck, I wouldn't put the unimount on my new truck. I would buy a new plow that was designed to be on the truck. Much easier in the long run.

You can sell a unimount, in good shape for about $1200. Consider it a deposit towards a nice new Vee plow...Thumbs Up

5. seres

seres Junior Member
    from Alaska

I think we're missing something...I do NOT plow professionally… I only plow MY farm and driveway, and that only about 15 times a year….

NO, I do NOT want to hack the wiring on a brand new truck that I drive every day, and night. I’ve had several problems with the Western factory wiring harness, with the TRUCK lights not coming on, even when the plow is not connected. I only plow during the day, so why hack into brand new all electronic truck wiring when I don’t have to?

I can modify my old Uni-Mount to be as strong and a new Ultra-Mount. I have the welding equipment and fab equipment, so it won’t cost much. And since I’m only running the plow OFF-ROAD, who cares what it looks like, or how strong it is? I just want to plow snow. Remember, I’ll never run this plow on a public road.

So why not just spend another $7500 on a new plow? Well, after spending about $40k on the truck, the ol’ wallet is a little thin. I know, I could get a new Ultra-Mount and conversion kit (about $2500 with wiring and a dealer install), but what difference would that make… I would still have the old plow, right?

The “old” plow is paid for, and looks and works like new. And I’ll get almost no trade-in value. So yes, I would like to keep it, even though it will take a little longer to plow the farm. Remember, I’m not plowing professionally.

I did a lot of searching on this site, and this is a common problem. I am hoping someone has some experience on suggestions on how to modify the mount, or find the parts that I can weld together to make a new Uni-Mount.

6. dieselss

. And since I’m only running the plow OFF-ROAD, who cares what it looks like, or how strong it is?

THE MOUNT WILL BE ON THE TRUCK ALL THE TIME. Who cares what it looks like, who cares if it will allow the factory crumple zone and airbag sensors to do there job properly.
    And your not plowing professionally, but your asking questions for professionals. Sorry you don't like the truth

7. dieselss

If you have a farm, don't you have FARM equipment to beat up plowing already anyway?

8. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

why not keep the plow on the old truck ?

9. seres

seres Junior Member
    from Alaska

I’m on the third transmission, and at over 250,000 miles, that is failing, again. But you do make a good point, I COULD get the trans fixed for about $3k and just keep it around to plow. If it would start after a long summer.

I do have a back-blade for the tractor, but there is no comparison to a truck/plow—I can probably plow in 1/10th the time with the truck/plow. I’ll never go back to a back-blade.

I came here asking professionals for answers, and while I don’t really like the answers I’m hearing, I am grateful for the advice. So far, it seems like the answers are unanimous for getting a new plow to match the new truck.

It seems like such a waste to spend so much when I will use it so little, but maybe that’s the best. Thanks.

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Ebay has them for other vehicles, which you can modify to fit your truck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Uni...131003132420&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=281206485764&rt=nc

Not available from Western any longer, so used, or ebay NOS are your only options

11. Or you put a ultramount frame on the truck with new wires and get the ultramount to unimount conversion and use The plow you have. I have done that on a few trucks and works fine

12. micklock

micklock Senior Member

Just get some steel and make your uni-mount fit your new truck. I just put a uni-mount from a 1996 truck on a 2013 John Deere 4520.

13. 97pwagon

97pwagon Junior Member

Just did a unimount conversion

Wanted to put my two cents in. I recently purchased a 2006 chevy 2500 and wanted to continue to use my reliable and paid for unimount plow. So I found a used ultra truck mount and 27170 conversion on craigslist for $200 each then bought a 9 pin control harness for $250 and the nice and very knowledgable western plow dealer told me how to wire up the lights to a three position toggle switch so no expensive module wiring just turn off truck headlights and flip toggle to low or high beams. You should be able to still purchase the unimount lugs from western to fab your own unimount or just go online and they sell the ultra mount truck mount with 27170 conversion for $650. Don't know that I have seen it for the new dodges but I'm sure Storks auto could get it for you. My set up is great except darn Chevys set so low the conversion scraps on steep approach driveways but with a tall dodge that shouldn't be a problem for you and when your not plowing you can pull off the conversion adapter and have your nice looking 2015 dodge back ! Sorry for the long winded response but I hope that helps

14. seres

seres Junior Member
    from Alaska

Great idea, 97pwagon! I was planning on going without the plow lights, but your setup sounds pretty simple and foolproof—the 3-way toggle would be a separate system, and independent of the truck wiring. Perfect!

15. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Yes! Do this ^^^ plus pwagon's lighting suggestion.

16. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have fabricated uni truck side mounts on numerous vehicles. I prefer this by far over the ultra with adapter. The adapter pushes the plow about a foot further forward putting significantly more strain on the mount.
    As for the wiring.... With the uni relay wiring you don't need to hook up the lights or the relays at all. Unlike the ultras the uni will allow plow functions without relays / ISO module.
    I understand completely that you have a perfectly good plow you want to move to a newer truck. New is nice but if it's just for your own daylight use why spend money upgrading. Just do a nice job and make it safe for yourself and everyone else you pass on the road. All it will cost is your time, a bit of metal and some welding consumables.

17. seres

seres Junior Member
    from Alaska

I couldn’t tell from the pictures, but I suspected this as well, especially since 97pwawgon said his conversion scraps on steep approach driveways. Thanks for the confirmation.

My Uni-Mount has been trouble-free for 15 years, except for the lights. The new ISO module may be better, but at this point I don’t want to take a chance on messing with a new truck's electronic system if I don’t have to.

Thanks for the post, mishnick! I’ll fab up a way to mount my old Uni-Mount to the new truck. If I can’t get it to look and act right, I can always buy the new Ultra-Mount and converter. In any case, I’ll plan on using the old wiring, without the lights.

18. 97pwagon

97pwagon Junior Member

The original version of the unimount conversion was cumbersome but the new 27170 version doesnt stick out any further than the ultra mount receivers do and you have the benefit of a clean front end of your truck in the summer months but thats just my opinion!

19. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

You live in the land of 20 hours of dark, and don't want plow lights?

I'd Imagine the newer modules wouldn't give you any issues, and they don't require hacking. There's a ton of them running around with no troubles.

20. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

pwagon has a chevy ... they are notoriously low. Your dodge should be fine and as you said, you won't be driving all over with it.