1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Modify Ultra Mount mounting brackets from a 3/4 ton to fit on a 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jackson63, Apr 19, 2016.

1. jackson63

jackson63 Junior Member

I bought a Western Ultra Mount Poly plow from a 2005 Silverado 2500. Has anyone modified the 3/4 ton mounting brackets so they will fit on a 1999 Silverado 1500. Thanks
  2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Go on Western site. Frames may be the same.
  3. jackson63

jackson63 Junior Member

Frames are different

The frames are different. The 3/4 ton bracket is bigger than the 1/2 ton bracket. Thanks
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I don't think it is worth it.

You can commonly find one on ebay and turn around sell your's for the same money.
  5. jackson63

jackson63 Junior Member

Thanks guys, I found a used mount set from a 1/2 ton so now I am set. I did not get any bolts and nuts. Should I use grade 8 bolts, or what do you recommend. Thanks
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I think they come with grade 5. Use nylock nuts. You will be fine.
  7. BoondockerEquip

BoondockerEquip Junior Member

Always use grade 5 bolts when installing plow frames with nylock nuts. Using grade 5 versus grade 8 allows the bolts to stretch or break before the frame of your vehicle. Good luck!
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer stainless fasters, makes removal somewhat easier.
  9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

On some mounts if the bolt is in shear they are usually a grade 5. If they are in tension (trying to pull the nut off) they are usually grade 8. At least thats what I found when looking up the part numbers to see what western speced out.