1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Modify Mount?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by nwmoguy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. nwmoguy

nwmoguy Junior Member

I bought a good used 7'6" Meyer plow with a mount off a 2005 3/4 Chevy truck, the problem is I have a 1992 Ford F250 4X4, I cant seem to find a mount locally so I was trying to figure out if I could modify this mount to fit my truck?

I could buy one online and sell the one I have but I thought I would try to take the easiest route and get the plow on soon.

2. nwmoguy

nwmoguy Junior Member

Thought I would post a couple pictures so you guys can see what i'm talking about, I took a pic of the "hoop" too which I know will fit just thought i'd share my excitement lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Go to the Meyer website and you can download a parts breakdown and installation instructions (one or both will include a drawing) for the mount for your truck. Then you can see exactly how Meyer designed it for your truck and how much different it is from the mount you have in hand. Most likely, it'd be pretty easy to modify the existing mount if you have a welder and other basic fab tools.

4. nwmoguy

nwmoguy Junior Member

I downloaded the plans from Meyer site, it is in fact a "Easy Classic 17111 1999 to 2006 K1500 HD, K 2500, K3500 SERIES, YUKON, SUBURBAN 4x4 EZ CLASSIC?

I took the plans and cropped out just the hitches, does this look like something that is doable to you all? Looks like I would have some height problems since the Chevy plow mount looks higher

[​IMG]

5. Michaelzz28

Michaelzz28 Member
    from Ohio

6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would agree, those are pretty different. But the prices of those Meyer mounts (even used apparently) are what made me build my last one from scratch. I didn't get any mount with my blade though, so selling one to recoup cost was not an option...I'd guess yours might be worth some coin too, so maybe worth buying one.

7. nwmoguy

nwmoguy Junior Member

Yeah I figure I will still end up paying out of pocket 200 bucks because I can't seem to locate one locally and on eBay they are 550+ but mounts locally sell for 300

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Figure out how far you're willing to drive to pick one up and call every dealer inside that distance, you may get lucky and one of them my have a used mount.

9. nwmoguy

nwmoguy Junior Member

I posted a want ad on here and I started calling around locally, hopefully I will find one soon because the snow is coming lol

10. geoffp71

geoffp71 Junior Member

would you sell the mount you have? What would you want for it and could you ship it

11. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I bought a used set up that was from a 95 F250, was modified to fit a 99 Super Duty.
    I modified it to fit a 89 Grand Wagoner, then modified it to fit my 97 F 250 (old style).

the dropping is not a problem, some heavy gage flat plate, some tubing or thick angle and drop it down to were you need it. I only used the section that has the "hoop holes" and the plow hookup (classic style) so they were the same with out worrying about it getting off center or crooked.

My only suggestion is to make sure that your bumper fits back on, I screwed up and had my hoop 1/2" to high and had to notch my bumper to get it back on, but I never take the "hoop" off, so no one can see my oops..

12. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

I had an almost identical experience. At the time, I didn't have a welder or the fab skills to even consider a mod, but I did find the crate for my '02 F-250 at the second closest local dealer. I paid close to $500 if I remember correctly because I couldn't find any used. I'm glad I did. I did the install myself, which really wasn't that bad (other than drilling the frame). I would say if for no other reasons than ease of install and peace of mind, knowing you did it the way it was intended, I would find the correct mount, either new or used, and would not recommend fabbing one from the old Chevy mount.

13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

that is the easiest way to do it, but also the more expencive, unless you do not have a welder....

I spent less then $100 on metal the 2nd time, I used what I had the 1st. half dozen cutting wheels, couple hours and I was up and running.

I used heavier steel then what the factory mount used in the angle braces, everything is welded up 100% by me, I love over kill. So if something breaks, its the frame of the truck as my trip function has failed and I am falling to my death over a bluff....LOL

14. nwmoguy

nwmoguy Junior Member

I ended up finding one that was for a 90's F350, from the measurements it should fit, looks a little different but I am hoping it will fit everything right. I am going to try to get it installed this weekend if I have time to get dirty lol

15. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

keep us postedThumbs Up